FNF anyone?

A place to run games online

FNF anyone?

Postby CthulhuKid » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Probably the easier games to play by post would be the fighting games in the THW catalogue. Sadly the only one I own is the first edition of FNF. I've been looking into an excuse to purchase another. I'm very interseted in BSBMats, but am waiting for a revised edition as a few of the reviews I read said the editing left a bit to be desired. However, I enjoy FNF and the second edition looks to improve upon the clunkier bits, so I may be convinced to pick it up.

On way to do this is have a thriving online game going. Doesn't have to be a tournament, but a nicely roleplayed couple of 'bouts could be fun, especially since most player involvement could only be choosing how many bonus dice to use in a given situation. Have a third person act as 'ref' and handle the die rolling (or use roll20, Vassal or some other way to log it) and it might make for good reading.

Anyone interested? I'm willing to ref a game or two in first edition.
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: FNF anyone?

Postby josta59 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:32 pm

If I don't have to buy any rules, I'm in.
Missiles in Managua: Sandies and Spetsnaz assault a Contra hideout!
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby CthulhuKid » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:39 pm

If you're just planning on playing, I don't see why not. Character creation's a breeze, and again decision making comes down to when to risk spending your bonus dice, or when to cover up.

Though I'm sure you wouldn't miss the $7. ;)
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby josta59 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:43 pm

CthulhuKid wrote:Though I'm sure you wouldn't miss the $7. ;)

That's a six-pack o' Shiner, on sale.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby CthulhuKid » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:34 pm

A: It's hard to believe that only a few years ago we were calling boxing matches on ESPN 2, and now here we are, sitting in the third row of a smokey back room watching has-beens and wanna-bes turn the sweet science into a sour art.
F: It's also hard to believe that only a few years ago that ring card girl was in middle school!
A: :| Frank, you're an awful human being and have set back gender politics for generations.
F: You invited me here for old time sake, Arnie. We used to go back and forth like this all the time back when we were calling the shots, you used to love it.
A: I used to get paid for it.
F: I bet you you'll still end up filling me in on what's going on as if I'm a viewer back home.
A: I bet you'll still buy me a beer for it. And also notice details that I miss.
F:That's why we're the team we are. So who's on the card tonight?
A: Let's see, first we have Jack WIllingham from Oak Ridge.
F: He's still fighting? I thought he gave up after only winning one fight out of his first six.
A: Looks like he won his seventh on a split decision, so he's sticking to it. Have to admire his style, though, or lack of it. He lets his opponent in as close as they want, and them pummels them for payment. He seems to have the Stamina to back it up at least.
F: Look at the other guy. Bigger than Jack. Never saw him before. Probably from "Parts Unknown" just to be a jerk.
A: He's a newcomer alright. No record yet.
F: And no fashion sense. Look at those trunks. Did he mug a hobo?
A: He looks formidable, let's see what happens when they square up in the ring!
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby CthulhuKid » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Okie Canfield (josta59) Star Power 2 Skill Level 38 Fame 0
Bonus Dice 8
Box 2 Agg 4 Qwik 3 Pow 4 Stam 2
Hard as Nails (Does not Lose Stamina when rolling 2d6 on the Recovery Table)
Lucky (1 reroll on KO or Recovery Table)
Quick Reflexes (+1d6 on Boxing Table)
Steady (+1d6 on the Stalking Table)

Jack Willingham Bonus Dice 9 Skill Level 31 Fame 6

Box 3 Agg 3 Qwik 2 Pow 3 Stam 3
ShortSighted (+1d6 to Opponent on Stalking Table)
Brawler (+1d6 on the Taking Control table but opponent counts a +1d6 on the Boxing Table)

A:And there's how our boxers look today. An advantage to the newcomer, but not enough of one to make it a walk in the park. Willingham is in the red trunks and Canfield is in the-
F: Hobopants! And there's the bell! Now they stalk around the ring, looking for their openings, who will make the first punch?
A: :| Why did I invite you

We're now rolling on the Stalking Table. Without the addition of any Bonus Dice or Star dice, Okie will be rolling 8d6 and Jack will be rolling 6d6. Now okie can make the decision to add bonus dice to this roll, but once you use them, they are gone for the whole fight (3 rounds, by the way). Jack will use a bonus die on a roll of 1 on that die, meaning he'll roll 9d6 and any that show up 1 will be used as a bonus die. So let me know if you'll use any and we'll see what happens.
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby josta59 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:07 pm

No bonus dice just yet.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby CthulhuKid » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:00 pm

Jack's bonus dice come up: 3,1,3,6,1,2,4,3,3 -> he adds two to his total. That's 8d6 vs 8d6!

A: Looks like Jack's coming out a big more Aggressive than we're used to, I think he wants to end this quickly and put the newcomer in his place.
F: I certainly hope not, Arnie, I haven't even gotten my mustard on my pretzel yet.

Okie (love the name, BTW) rolls: 3,1,3,3,5,5,6,5 - 4 successes
Jack rolls: 1,4,3,3,1,6,3,5 - 5 successes

While Jack wins the roll, no points are scored but the two are now trading real blows on the Boxing table.

A: I think I see a grin on Okie's face. Looks like he's using his quickness to tire Jack down a bit. We might be in for a full on fight. I wonder what he's thinking about in there?
F: Mmmphmmphf*burp*

Now on the Boxing table. Without Star or Bonus dice it will be Okie with 7 and Jack with 5. Again, Jack will use Bonus dice on the roll of 1. Also, if he ends up rolling 2 dice less than you or more he will "Cover Up" which means he'll also count '4's as successes, but he can't cound more than tieing you. So again, now you have the choice of using Bonus Dice (you have 8 to his 7) and/or covering up yourself.
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby josta59 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:39 pm

Proceed as normal, please.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby CthulhuKid » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Jack's Bonus dice: 4,1,2,6,1,5,5 - he'll add two again. He's burning through them quickly. (has 5 left)

7 dice vs. 7 dice again. There will be no 'covering up' either. It's a slugfest, folks.

Okie: 6,1,1,2,2,6,4 - 4 successes
Jack: 3,5,5,5,3,1,5 - 2 successes - even covering up wouldn't have helped.

A: Jack is pushed back into the ropes! Seems his strategy of letting people in close doesn't work when you have fighters who are as aggressive as Okie appears to be.
F: Also looks like Jack's got a lot of sweat on him while Okie's wearing more of Jack's sweat than his own. Which now that I think of it, makes me want to shower.
A: Given how much mustard you have on your face, I would second that.

+2 points for Okie (score for round 2 Okie 0 Jack) -1 Boxing Die for Jack(2)! Jack is in the Ropes!

Now the Taking Control Table: Base roll: Okie 6 +1 for having Jack on the ropes = 7 Jack 5 + 1 for being a Brawler = 6

Now he'll use Bonus dice on 1 or 2. You can choose to 1) use Star Dice 2)Use bonus dice 3) Cover up or 4) "head hunt" - doing this gives Jack 2 more dice, but if you knock him down, you get extra dice to roll since you're clocking him in the noggin'.
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Next

Return to Play by Post