[CR2015] Duck Back and subsequent hits

Answers to questions on other rules.

[CR2015] Duck Back and subsequent hits

Postby JungleFighter » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Greetings all,

I have been solo playing Chain Reaction 2015, and I have been having a lot of fun with it. I tried CR3.0 a few years ago, but I never really got the hang of it. Recently, I downloaded CR2015, and I found the rules to be more streamlined. The Stop! box explanations made everything easier to understand, as well. I think that I am getting it now, but I am still confused about a few things.

I am still a bit fuzzy on how one determines which Hits "count" when multiple figures are firing at the same time, and how to tell in what order the hits should resolved for damage.

An example from a recent game:

My group's Figures A and B are both firing their Assault Rifles (AR) (3d6) with 3 shots each at Enemy figure C.
Figure A (REP4) rolls 3d6 for 2 Hits and 1 Miss. Dice show: 6,5,3.
Figure B (REP4) rolls 3d6 for 1 Hit and 2 Misses. Dice show: 5,2,2.

I have been in the habit of counting the worst (highest) shots first, so the first thing I did, was to roll for Damage on Figure C from Figure A's highest hit, (a 6), which resulted in "1", which is "Duck Back".

My questions are:

Do I just move Figure C into cover and "Duck Back", even if Figure A scored another Hit, and Figure B did as well? Those other hits may have resulted in Dead or OOF.

Do those subsequent Hits not count at all? If I would have randomly chosen to roll for damage on the Figure A' s next Hit (5), of Figure B's Hit (5), they may have resolved as Dead of OOF, which would have been more satisfying (to me, of course) than "Duck Back".

I am OK with just honoring the first dice roll on Damage that comes up, but I just wanted to make sure that this is how everyone else plays it, in case I play against real, live people some day.

How does one choose which hits to roll damage on first?

Am I doing it the right way, by rolling for Hits, then placing the dice next to the figures, then rolling for damage on the "worst" hits first?

I'm sorry if these sound like stupid questions, but I looked all through the Forum and in AARs on blogs, and I could not find answers.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
JungleFighter
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: [CR2015] Duck Back and subsequent hits

Postby THW » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:14 am

This should help. If more than one figure fires at the same target roll for all the results. This could result in multiple Duck Backs, Out of the Fights and Obviously Dead or even a bit of all of them. The figure then counts the worse result.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby JungleFighter » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:03 pm

That does help, and thank you for the quick response, Ed.

I imagine it would be the same for a one-on-one fight as well. Figure A shoots at Figure C, and hits three times. I roll for damage, and it results in a Duck Back, an Out of the Fight and an Obviously Dead. I pick the worst result (for Figure C), Obviously Dead, then move on.

I may have another daft question or two until I really have it down, but I am really getting a kick out of the THW system so far.

Thanks!
JungleFighter
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:46 am

JungleFighter wrote:That does help, and thank you for the quick response, Ed.

I imagine it would be the same for a one-on-one fight as well. Figure A shoots at Figure C, and hits three times. I roll for damage, and it results in a Duck Back, an Out of the Fight and an Obviously Dead. I pick the worst result (for Figure C), Obviously Dead, then move on. Correct.

I may have another daft question or two until I really have it down, but I am really getting a kick out of the THW system so far.

Thanks!

There are no daft questions, just people that won't ask them. Usually "experienced" gamers. :D
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby davidlhsl » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:03 am

Something to add to your question regarding a figure taking multiple hits to also consider:

If a Star takes multiple hit results, such as two OOF and a Duck Back -- or some other combination -- you roll star power dice once and attempt to reduce all conditions with the successes from that one roll. This is illustrated in the example at the top of page 7, rule 5.2.1 of Chain Reaction 2015.
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby JungleFighter » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:19 am

Thanks for the heads-up about using Star Power, davidlhsl. I usually remember to use it, after my poor Leader goes down in a hail of gunfire, and I am sobbing uncontrollably. :D

I appreciate all of the help. I am just now getting back into gaming, after a brief thirty year break. I have not played many wargames until I discovered THW. I played one called "Verdun, The Game of Attrition" way back in the 80s, along with Dungeons and Dragons 1E and The Fantasy Trip games like Melee.

This is a great community. I am not sure if I would have stuck with playing Chain Reaction 2015, if it were not for the ability to read questions and answers and ask some of my own in the Forum here.

I am looking forward to playing the other THW games in the future.
JungleFighter
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:30 am

I do this full time so post questions as they come up.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Cooper49 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:11 am

It's very interesting, can you introduce me a little more?

ผลบอลโลก 2018
Cooper49
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:45 pm

JungleFighter wrote:Greetings all,

I have been solo playing Chain Reaction 2015, and I have been having a lot of fun with it. I tried CR3.0 a few years ago, but I never really got the hang of it. Recently, I downloaded CR2015, and I found the rules to be more streamlined. The Stop! box explanations made everything easier to understand, as well. I think that I am getting it now, but I am still confused about a few things.

I am still a bit fuzzy on how one determines which Hits "count" when multiple figures are firing at the same time, and how to tell in what order the hits should resolved for damage.
Here goes.
An example from a recent game:

My group's Figures A and B are both firing their Assault Rifles (AR) (3d6) with 3 shots each at Enemy figure C.
Figure A (REP4) rolls 3d6 for 2 Hits and 1 Miss. Dice show: 6,5,3.
Figure B (REP4) rolls 3d6 for 1 Hit and 2 Misses. Dice show: 5,2,2.

I have been in the habit of counting the worst (highest) shots first, so the first thing I did, was to roll for Damage on Figure C from Figure A's highest hit, (a 6), which resulted in "1", which is "Duck Back". Nope, resolve ALL the hits versus the same target and keep the worse result.

My questions are:

Do I just move Figure C into cover and "Duck Back", even if Figure A scored another Hit, and Figure B did as well? Those other hits may have resulted in Dead or OOF. Nope all results resolved before anything is carried out. So a Miss, Miss, Hit, Hit, Miss and Hit form two fdifferent guys is three hits. Take the worse results for the taregt

Do those subsequent Hits not count at all? If I would have randomly chosen to roll for damage on the Figure A' s next Hit (5), of Figure B's Hit (5), they may have resolved as Dead of OOF, which would have been more satisfying (to me, of course) than "Duck Back". All hits count.

I am OK with just honoring the first dice roll on Damage that comes up, but I just wanted to make sure that this is how everyone else plays it, in case I play against real, live people some day.

How does one choose which hits to roll damage on first? Your choice but remember, all of the hits are resolved and lumped together.

Am I doing it the right way, by rolling for Hits, then placing the dice next to the figures, then rolling for damage on the "worst" hits first? Just resolve them all and apply the worse result. Hope this helps.

I'm sorry if these sound like stupid questions, but I looked all through the Forum and in AARs on blogs, and I could not find answers.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to Everything Else