Some questions on Swordplay 2015

Answers to your CR 3.0 and Swordplay questions.

Some questions on Swordplay 2015

Postby Mat » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:44 pm

I downloaded the free rules and find them really interesting and written very well. Some questions I have though and dont know, if I am understanding these correct, because english isnt my natural born language, so please have patience with me:

1) One question I have is regarding actions
Lets see , if I understand well:

1st: I can move 8" / Fast move OR Charge into melee

2nd: After moving or charging I can take other actions (7.2.1.): I can pick up something AND reload a weapon AND still make another normal move? (says so here after the headline)

3rd: After doing all this I can still make more: I can fire.
- Why does it say in 7.3 "once when active, if loaded" but a step earlier (7.2.1) I always can reload my weapon? So it would at this step always be loaded or Im missing some?

2) I really have difficulties with the In Sight-Test and moving:
a) Activating a group of lets say 2 models, they still move separately, first model a and then model b (my decision), right? And In Sight ist triggered the time, one of them has LOS to the enemy or have they both (means: all group-members) been moved and then InSight is triggered? The example on page 14 shows, that Model A and B have moved together (comparing the picture one on the bottom and picture two on the top of the page), but I cant find the place where this is specified.

b) Lets say model a moves, gets LOS to the enemy an uses its free moving of 2 inches to leave LOS again. Then it will not take an In Sight-Test, right?

3) My second major problem in understanding is the Charge into Melee
Page 19 states, that I have to be to reach a spot 6" from the actual target. So my normal Action (7.2.) says, I can charge into Melee. Do I understand it right, that I can move my 8" normally and if I reach a spot 6" from my target, I automatically move to 1" from the target (thus probably extending my normal 8"-move-distance) - says so on page 19 bottom left ?

b) What is the point of Charge into Melee-Test if the foe doesnt have a ranged weapon (i.e. cant open fire on me)?

4) Last question for now: Arent there any traits for the models like "Aim-Shot" or some things that make the models more different? Can traits be found in the other systems like Heroes Legends and all these?

Lots of questions, I hope I make me somewhat understand.

Thanks a lot for answering, I looking forward to play this much more.

Mat
Mat
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Some questions on Swordplay 2015

Postby r_nakamura » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:31 pm

Not sure about some of the answers but I'll try to help on question 2: this is something that got me for a while. The thing is, groups move as a whole, so you may think of both models on your example moving together. In practice, that is hardly ever possible (i.e. moving all figures at once) so what I do is to move one figure up to the point where it would trigger the in sight test and then move the rest of the group by the same distance. So if the first figure moved 5", the other one would be also moved 5". It is not the most realistic, because some units in the group could be moving at a faster/slower pace but it keeps things manageable.

And the second part, "Lets say model a moves, gets LOS to the enemy an uses its free moving of 2 inches to leave LOS again. Then it will not take an In Sight-Test, right" -- Right and in my experience, it's useful to spot PEF markers. One soldier takes a look around the corner, spots an entire squad (generated by PEF resolution) and moves back out of sight, warning the rest of the team.
r_nakamura
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:59 pm

Mat wrote:I downloaded the free rules and find them really interesting and written very well. Some questions I have though and dont know, if I am understanding these correct, because english isnt my natural born language, so please have patience with me:

1) One question I have is regarding actions
Lets see , if I understand well:

1st: I can move 8" / Fast move OR Charge into melee You can do one of them.

2nd: After moving or charging I can take other actions (7.2.1.): I can pick up something AND reload a weapon AND still make another normal move? (says so here after the headline) No, you can do one of the first three and reload a weapons or pick something up if you are making a normal move, not adding an other normal move.

3rd: After doing all this I can still make more: I can fire. No, after doing one of the the actions, you can fire.
- Why does it say in 7.3 "once when active, if loaded" but a step earlier (7.2.1) I always can reload my weapon? So it would at this step always be loaded or I'm missing some? If you fired you must reload. You cannot fire and reload. When it refers to firing it means in addition to normal movement.

2) I really have difficulties with the In Sight-Test and moving:
a) Activating a group of lets say 2 models, they still move separately, first model a and then model b (my decision), right? No, the whole group moves together. So the group moves and when the first figure in the group comes into sight, the In Sight is triggered. (7.6.2 has a good example). Then the figures can move 2" more. And In Sight ist triggered the time, one of them has LOS to the enemy or have they both (means: all group-members) been moved and then InSight is triggered? The example on page 14 shows, that Model A and B have moved together (comparing the picture one on the bottom and picture two on the top of the page), but I cant find the place where this is specified. 6.3 says all figures in the group act together so they move at the same time

b) Lets say model a moves, gets LOS to the enemy an uses its free moving of 2 inches to leave LOS again. Then it will not take an In Sight-Test, right? Correct,

3) My second major problem in understanding is the Charge into Melee
Page 19 states, that I have to be to reach a spot 6" from the actual target. So my normal Action (7.2.) says, I can charge into Melee. Do I understand it right, that I can move my 8" normally and if I reach a spot 6" from my target, I automatically move to 1" from the target (thus probably extending my normal 8"-move-distance) - says so on page 19 bottom left ? Correct.

b) What is the point of Charge into Melee-Test if the foe doesn't have a ranged weapon (i.e. cant open fire on me)? You wouldn't have to roll for it. The Charge in to Melee comes into play when the target can fire, as you said.

4) Last question for now: Arent there any traits for the models like "Aim-Shot" or some things that make the models more different? Not in Swordplay as it is a free intro game.Can traits be found in the other systems like Heroes Legends and all these? Yes, the other rules are very detailed.The nice thing is you can also take pieces of the different rules and use thme with other rules.

Lots of questions, I hope I make me somewhat understand. No worries and be sure to ask as they come up.

Thanks a lot for answering, I looking forward to play this much more.

Mat
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Mat » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:53 am

I want to say thanks a lot to you both for your answers.

I now got clear the charge into Melee and traits-questions.

I think I understood the group-move too. Only to be sure:

I understood, that a group acts together. Does this mean that all figures of the group HAVE TO move together the same direction or CAN they move together in the same direction but if you want to split the group you could move the figures in opposite directions? Which is correct?

Still have some mental blockade with the actions you can take:

I activate a figure and can:

Move normally and load my weapon but not fire?
Move normally and fire my weapon (if it is loaded) but not reload?
Move normally and pick up something but not reload and not fire?
If I use Charge into melee I cant take the other actions like pick up something or reload my weapon (and cant fire because its melee, I guess).
Has moving to be first? Or can I first fire and then move?

The problem for me referring the rules is this:
It says in 7.2.1. "...do the following actions in addition to those previously listed..." How I understand : those previously listed are the actions from 7.2.: move or charge.
It says in 7.3.: "In addition to the previous actions, figures can fire..." How I understand: previous actions are those from 7.2 (move or charge) and 7.2.1. (Pick up or/and? Reload) .

Do I understand previous and additional false in this case?

If I get these things clear I think I`ll be ready to play properly.

Thanks a lot for your answers

Regards

Mat
Mat
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:17 am

Mat wrote:I want to say thanks a lot to you both for your answers.

I now got clear the charge into Melee and traits-questions.

I think I understood the group-move too. Only to be sure:

Here goes.

I understood, that a group acts together. Does this mean that all figures of the group HAVE TO move together the same direction or CAN they move together in the same direction but if you want to split the group you could move the figures in opposite directions? Which is correct? They can move as they like in the order they like, split up, together, etc.

Still have some mental blockade with the actions you can take:

I activate a figure and can:

Move normally and load my weapon but not fire? Yes.
Move normally and fire my weapon (if it is loaded) but not reload? Yes
Move normally and pick up something but not reload and not fire? Move, fire, pick up something.
If I use Charge into melee I cant take the other actions like pick up something or reload my weapon (and cant fire because its melee, I guess). Right
Has moving to be first? Or can I first fire and then move? Yes, you can fire and move. You can move a little, fire, and finish your move while reloading.

The problem for me referring the rules is this:
It says in 7.2.1. "...do the following actions in addition to those previously listed..." How I understand : those previously listed are the actions from 7.2.: move or charge. Right,.
It says in 7.3.: "In addition to the previous actions, figures can fire..." How I understand: previous actions are those from 7.2 (move or charge) and 7.2.1. (Pick up or/and? Reload) .

Do I understand previous and additional false in this case? Right

If I get these things clear I think I`ll be ready to play properly.

Thanks a lot for your answers
Any time.

Regards

Mat
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Gimlet » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Sorry for thredomancy
but one more question in this topic to be clear.
Can You:

Fast Move and than charge (if You in 6" from the oponent)?
Gimlet
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:10 pm

Gimlet wrote:Sorry for thredomancy
but one more question in this topic to be clear.
Can You:

Fast Move and than charge (if You in 6" from the oponent)?

No worries, it's what we're here for.

Correct. Move into 6" then charge, even if it exceeds your normal movement.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to Chain Reaction and Swordplay - The Final Versions