Rating REP of PEFs

Answers to your CR 3.0 and Swordplay questions.

Re: Rating REP of PEFs

Postby THW » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:50 pm

bunwin63 wrote:Ok, thanks. I assumed that even though PEFs are Rep 4, that was only for the purposes of moving them until they became resolved. I didn't realise that the NPs that were generated from 11.3 were also Rep 4

Anyway, I've just started my first solo game. A group of 5 British paras have moved onto the board in a patrol, and came across a PEF in a nearby woods. The PEF moved to the edge of the woods, and got resolved as a squad of 7 Italian infantry. They are about to fire on the paras who are caught in the open. Might be a quick game!

thanks
Bryan

Hi Bryan,
I personally load up my PEF with the NPCs before the game and use their Rep like you're saying for more detail.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby THW » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:51 pm

THW wrote:
bunwin63 wrote: They are about to fire on the paras who are caught in the open. Might be a quick game!

thanks
Bryan

Did they start in the open? The In Sight is immediately triggered when they come into sight buit they can move 2" (often back into cover) before the rolls are actually made.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Tekawiz » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:29 am

I had a similar situation where my American squad moved on to the board and encountered a dug in German position. My squad was wiped out by the end of turn two.
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby bunwin63 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:10 am

Another question please -

Side A activates and is in a position to fire. If side A has a group with say 7 figures able to fire at 5 enemy figures, do I resolve the firing this way:

Side A figure 1 fires at Side B figure X. Figure X takes the Received Fire reaction test and fires back, and so on until a result stops that one-on-one firefight. Then Side A figure 2 does its shooting, at a different figure in Side B etc, who then also reacts. Is this right or should all of Side A's firing be resolved before any of Side B's figures take the Received Fire test and start firing back?

Progress report on the game. The Italians in the wood open up and kill one para, unfortunately the Bren gunner. The rest are forced to Duck back but there is no cover so they go prone. No return fire.
Next turn the paras win the reaction and shoot, the only result being 1 Italian rifleman ducking back further into the woods. The other Italians that have been shot at return fire, the only damage being to the para sergeant who gets an Out of Fight result. Rolls his 5 Star Power dice and reduces the damage to a duck back (already prone so nothing to do?) but rolls 3 sixes so only 2 Star Power dice left. Having fun so far

Bryan
bunwin63
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby bunwin63 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:18 am

THW wrote:Hi Bryan,
I personally load up my PEF with the NPCs before the game and use their Rep like you're saying for more detail.

I ended up using common sense and made the Italian soldiers Rep 3 and their NCO rep 4

thanks
Bryan
bunwin63
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby bunwin63 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:21 am

THW wrote:
Did they start in the open? The In Sight is immediately triggered when they come into sight buit they can move 2" (often back into cover) before the rolls are actually made.

They did, they moved onto the board in an open square, no cover anywhere near!

Bryan
bunwin63
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby bunwin63 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:26 am

Tekawiz wrote:I had a similar situation where my American squad moved on to the board and encountered a dug in German position. My squad was wiped out by the end of turn two.

It's starting to look that way. With the Italians in cover, the rep 4 paras need a 6 to hit. The sergeant with a Rep 5 and a Sten has a better chance, but he'll be targeted by an LMG whenever the Italians activate so his life expectancy is about the same as that guy who tried to hold up a Texas gun store

thanks
Bryan
bunwin63
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby shon maxx » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:26 pm

bunwin63 wrote:
Tekawiz wrote:I had a similar situation where my American squad moved on to the board and encountered a dug in German position. My squad was wiped out by the end of turn two.

It's starting to look that way. With the Italians in cover, the rep 4 paras need a 6 to hit. The sergeant with a Rep 5 and a Sten has a better chance, but he'll be targeted by an LMG whenever the Italians activate so his life expectancy is about the same as that guy who tried to hold up a Texas gun store

thanks
Bryan

I remember that story. At least your squad only seems to have a run of bad luck, rather than being candidates for the Darwin Awards.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby THW » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:01 pm

I think you move first then place PDFs.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby THW » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:07 pm

bunwin63 wrote:Another question please -

Side A activates and is in a position to fire. If side A has a group with say 7 figures able to fire at 5 enemy figures, do I resolve the firing this way:

This sounds like a hypothetical situation. Figures almost NEVER start their turn in sight of the enemy and able to fire. Why/ Because in the previous turn they would have started out of sight and the In Sight firing will face everyone to be OOF, OD or ducked back out of sight.

But to answer your questions.

Side A figure 1 fires at Side B figure X. Figure X takes the Received Fire reaction test and fires back, and so on until a result stops that one-on-one firefight. Then Side A figure 2 does its shooting, at a different figure in Side B etc, who then also reacts. Is this right or should all of Side A's firing be resolved before any of Side B's figures take the Received Fire test and start firing back? Resolv e all fire first, just like real life, everyone fires.

Progress report on the game. The Italians in the wood open up and kill one para, unfortunately the Bren gunner. The rest are forced to Duck back but there is no cover so they go prone. No return fire. That's a good example of why the previous situation will almost never apply.
Next turn the paras win the reaction and shoot If they are ducked back they cannot fire. They need to come into sight and a new in sight is triggered. , the only result being 1 Italian rifleman ducking back further into the woods. The other Italians that have been shot at return fire, the only damage being to the para sergeant who gets an Out of Fight result. Rolls his 5 Star Power dice and reduces the damage to a duck back (already prone so nothing to do?) but rolls 3 sixes so only 2 Star Power dice left. Having fun so far And that's the main ting, having fun. It takes a little bit to get the hang of the Reaction System. Think of it in realistic terms. I step into view, we see each other, you shoot at me, I duck back out of sight. I step back out and we do it all over again. Hope this helps.

Bryan
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

PreviousNext

Return to Chain Reaction and Swordplay - The Final Versions