[CR2015] Cover

Answers to your CR 3.0 and Swordplay questions.

[CR2015] Cover

Postby Ludanto » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:45 pm

OK, we know what cover is, but how do we know when we're in it?

If I'm on the other side of a rock, in base contact with it, I think we can agree that I'm in cover.

What if I'm an inch away from base contact? Or 8 inches away? What if the guy shooting at me is on a roof? What if the guy shooting at me is in base contact with the other side of that cover? What if he's in base contact with the cover, but I'm an inch away from it?

PEFs move "directly towards the player, ending in cover if possible". What defines "possible" in this context? When would you even have a choice in the matter?
Mi pensas, ke mia simio metis sian piedon en vian trinkaĵon.
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

Re: [CR2015] Cover

Postby Redmao » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:14 pm

In doubt, get down and try to see what the shooting figure would see.
If the target is partly obscured even if it's not in base contact with that cover, than it would still be considered in cover.

If a rooftop shooter has a non obscured view of the target even if the target is hugging the cover, than the cover is ignored.

If the PEF is in an opened field, than cover is not possible.
If it's in an opened parking lot, the PEF would try to end its move behind a car. Perhaps even cutting its movement short to make sure that cover is still available instead of moving all the way into the open.
Redmao
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Ludanto » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:21 pm

Redmao wrote:If it's in an opened parking lot, the PEF would try to end its move behind a car. Perhaps even cutting its movement short to make sure that cover is still available instead of moving all the way into the open.

That's my disconnect. If I'm cutting PEF movement short, then I'm not moving 8 inches.

So, perhaps I should read it as

The PEF moves 8" directly toward the player, or less if the PEF can end in new cover.

Does that better capture the intent, do you think?
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Tekawiz » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:56 pm

Nuts! Final Version goes in to this situation in more detail. Basically the guy cuts his movement short to stay I cover. If it's a group, you may want to split the group so one group moves and the group that stays behind can provide cover fire for the moving group. If in doubt, think "real life".
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Ludanto » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:02 am

Tekawiz wrote:If in doubt, think "real life".

The problem is, real life isn't always what we thing it is. :)
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby THW » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:41 pm

Ludanto wrote:OK, we know what cover is, but how do we know when we're in it?
If I'm on the other side of a rock, in base contact with it, I think we can agree that I'm in cover.
When playing solo you decide, when playing others, agree before hand.

What if I'm an inch away from base contact? Or 8 inches away? What if the guy shooting at me is on a roof? What if the guy shooting at me is in base contact with the other side of that cover? What if he's in base contact with the cover, but I'm an inch away from it?
You're confusing cover with LOS. Cover is something you are in that makes you harder to hit. A peice of terrain between you and shooter blocks line of sight.

PEFs move "directly towards the player, ending in cover if possible". What defines "possible" in this context? When would you even have a choice in the matter? This means if there's cover the character enters it. This stops you from choosing to leave it outside of available cover.

And this is a great example of why Fringe Space is approaching cover differently.

• Stationary figures are considered to be in cover as people will tend to find cover when a gunfight starts.
• Moving figures never count as being in cover.

When resolving a PEF as contact roll 1d6. 1, 2 or 3 the PEF was moving, 4, 5, or 6 you were moving.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby THW » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:47 pm

Ludanto wrote:
Redmao wrote:If it's in an opened parking lot, the PEF would try to end its move behind a car. Perhaps even cutting its movement short to make sure that cover is still available instead of moving all the way into the open.

That's my disconnect. If I'm cutting PEF movement short, then I'm not moving 8 inches.

So, perhaps I should read it as

The PEF moves 8" directly toward the player, or less if the PEF can end in new cover.

Does that better capture the intent, do you think?

If it does for you, sure. Just be sure to clarify it with whoever you're playing with.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Ludanto » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:35 pm

THW wrote:You're confusing cover with LOS. Cover is something you are in that makes you harder to hit. A piece of terrain between you and shooter blocks line of sight.

That's why I'm looking for a solid definition of cover. I can be seen standing behind a "jersey barrier", and it makes me harder to hit if I'm standing on the other side of it, so that' cover, right? But I can't be "in" it. And if the shooter is right on top of it, or behind me, then where does the cover go?

It'd be nice not to have to argue with other nerds before every game about something as fundamental as cover and just have it written out.

I guess the closest canonical thing is being behind a hill. Out of Sight until 1 inch from the crest, whereupon you're in cover. So, perhaps being within 1 inch of a terrain feature (and on the other side of it, of course) counts as cover, but not farther back.

That still doesn't address the other guy being 1 inch from the opposite side of the crest, though. I'd assume that would negate the cover, as would a higher position in general.

Or am I somehow still misunderstanding something?
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby THW » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:55 pm

At the risk of over thinking it. If you are contacting the cover, your are in it. Not 1" behind, etc. If you are then you are out of sight.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Ludanto » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:18 pm

THW wrote:At the risk of over thinking it. If you are contacting the cover, your are in it. Not 1" behind, etc. If you are then you are out of sight.

OK. Thanks. That's something.

I suppose if you're "in" cover you can see past it, then. Otherwise, that wouldn't be useful at all.

Not being able to see a guy 30 feet away because of a low wall 10 feet away from me seems weird. I guess I can rationalize it as objects being taller than they look, and everybody keeping a low profile.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think LOS being blocked by a pair of oil drums (for example) would naturally occur to most people.
Ludanto
Rep 5
Rep 5

Next

Return to Chain Reaction and Swordplay - The Final Versions