Need some help with Chain Reaction's rules

Answers to your CR 3.0 and Swordplay questions.

Need some help with Chain Reaction's rules

Postby Barzam » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:27 am

Hi,
I have downloaded the rules for Chain Reaction and I like the unique way the game plays, not to mention that it seems to work very well with solo play. I've also purchased some of the Rebel Minis mods, Red Ops 5 and Modern Havok. I'm really looking forward to playing Red Ops 5, especially. The only problem is, I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly how the enemies are controlled when playing solo. Do I control the enemy figures the same way I'd control my heroes, with the Star system and everything, or what? Are they done entirely using reactions? If someone could clarify for me exactly how I play the enemy units during their turn, it'd be a great help.
Barzam
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Need some help with Chain Reaction's rules

Postby THW » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:31 pm

You got it.
1 - The enemies use the NP Force Movement Table on page 29.
2 - The enemy leader is a Star and gets Star Power dice.
3 - ALL the enemies are run by the Reaction Table - even their Star.
Hope this helps,
Ed
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby mrmothman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:15 am

This is the first forum iv ever joined.So sorry if I dont exhibit proper forum etiquette.
Ok I stumbled upon this product while looking through forums about games to play solo
Im super intetested in learning this game and buy your many products but im having trouble
Grasping alot of the rules. Iv never played a war game before but I am eager to join the hobby

Is there any way you can make a tutorial video and put it on youtube?
Im a visual learner and I really want to play. If this could happen I will certainly become
A great customer.
mrmothman
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:14 pm

mrmothman wrote:This is the first forum iv ever joined.So sorry if I dont exhibit proper forum etiquette.
Ok I stumbled upon this product while looking through forums about games to play solo
Im super intetested in learning this game and buy your many products but im having trouble
Grasping alot of the rules. Iv never played a war game before but I am eager to join the hobby

Im a visual learner and I really want to play. If this could happen I will certainly become
A great customer.

Great idea and it's on the list of things to do. I'll keep you posted. Here are some THW videos. Not exactly what you're looking for but a start.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=two+hour+wargames
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Claus Paludan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:13 pm

mrmothman wrote:This is the first forum iv ever joined.So sorry if I dont exhibit proper forum etiquette.

A great customer.

You could also try and see if there is any THW players near you.. It might be worth trying to get together and have a demo session or at least be two people trying to figure out how they work..

But if you take Chain Reaction or Sword Play and put one or two minitures per side on the board and try a small game while you read the rules, most of it will be fairly simple to get a grip on.
Claus Paludan
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:52 pm

Claus Paludan wrote:
You could also try and see if there is any THW players near you.. It might be worth trying to get together and have a demo session or at least be two people trying to figure out how they work..

But if you take Chain Reaction or Sword Play and put one or two minitures per side on the board and try a small game while you read the rules, most of it will be fairly simple to get a grip on.

Follow the Stop boxes, they are simple and will help you to learn.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby mrmothman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:23 am

Thanx for the suggestions. .ill go over the rules some more..I hope a tutorial gets put up soon
mrmothman
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby jamemurp » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:01 pm

The Stop! boxes really are the tutorial. Each one build on the previous.

Have you stepped through each of the boxes? Make sure you understand Line of Sight (LOS), In Sight, and Reaction Tests!

The basic steps are to:
1) Create your group (normally a Star and some Grunts)
2) Select an Encounter (Patrol is the group's first mission)
The Encounter will tell you the objectives, how to set up the terrain, where the group enters the playing area, etc.
Patrol is pretty straight forward- you generate terrain as detailed in 9.2 Generating Terrain (p. 23), the group enters from section 7, 8, or 9 (your choice), and 3 PEFs are placed in sections 1-6 as detailed in 11.0 PEFs (p. 25). The goal is to get off the table from the far edge- sections 1, 2, 3.
Usually what happens is one or more PEFs are in LOS of the group and are resolved per 11.3 Resolving PEFs (p. 26). If not, then Activation is rolled and either the group or PEFs or both (and sometimes neither!) may Activate. Remember that when PEFs activate, they use the PEF Movement Table, but if they resolve as figures, they use the NP Movement Table from then on.
jamemurp
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby mrmothman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:34 pm

Thats all confusing to me..idk I guess im too dumb for this hobby
mrmothman
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:31 pm

mrmothman wrote:Thats all confusing to me..idk I guess im too dumb for this hobby
doing it

Nah, it's like learning anything new. I used to train for Starbucks and I know people learn in different ways. Some do it by reading, some by watching someone do it, and some by doing it with some one watching. No biggie, I'll try and get a basic tutorial up next week. Hang in there, it's worth it.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Next

Return to Chain Reaction and Swordplay - The Final Versions