Survive the Wax Museum! A scenario for CR3.1

Answers to your CR 3.0 and Swordplay questions.

Re: Survive the Wax Museum! A scenario for CR3.1

Postby shon maxx » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Since it's been so long since I looked at the rules, I missed a few things (like the 2 challenge rolls to break the lock) when I replied last time.

I almost said that wax statues coming back to life wasn't realistic; then I face-palmed upon the idea of their coming to life in the first place. However, I think the popping back up after 1d6 Activations may get confusing, especially if multiple statues pop up at different times. Instead, how about; OOF/OD: Statue collapses for 1 Activation (similar to how zombies in ATZ treat OOF and OD the same)?

A timed lock and a lock you must break works for me as I've seen museums that use 2 different kinds of locks. I'm a little iffy about the shock if you fail idea though. While it works great in general, the players have enough to worry about trying to bust open the lock while being stalked by unstoppable statues. Ignoring Duck Back works for me as statues would just limp toward the targets.

I'm thinking for items: 1d6 vs. Rep; (-1 to Rep if weapon or rare item); If you pass, you find what you're looking for. I think it's simple-enough as 1d6 instead of 2d6 unless you think it should stay consistent as a Challenge Roll.

I'll repost it with the changes, though it may take a few days. I've have a rough week with some idiot breaking our apartment window and my car's windshield, so give me until after the weekend and I should have it posted by Monday or Tuesday. Until then, we can keep swapping ideas until we get it just right.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby davidlhsl » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:14 am

shon maxx wrote:Since it's been so long since I looked at the rules, I missed a few things (like the 2 challenge rolls to break the lock) when I replied last time.

I almost said that wax statues coming back to life wasn't realistic; then I face-palmed upon the idea of their coming to life in the first place. However, I think the popping back up after 1d6 Activations may get confusing, especially if multiple statues pop up at different times. Instead, how about; OOF/OD: Statue collapses for 1 Activation (similar to how zombies in ATZ treat OOF and OD the same)?

A timed lock and a lock you must break works for me as I've seen museums that use 2 different kinds of locks. I'm a little iffy about the shock if you fail idea though. While it works great in general, the players have enough to worry about trying to bust open the lock while being stalked by unstoppable statues. Ignoring Duck Back works for me as statues would just limp toward the targets.

I'm thinking for items: 1d6 vs. Rep; (-1 to Rep if weapon or rare item); If you pass, you find what you're looking for. I think it's simple-enough as 1d6 instead of 2d6 unless you think it should stay consistent as a Challenge Roll.

I'll repost it with the changes, though it may take a few days. I've have a rough week with some idiot breaking our apartment window and my car's windshield, so give me until after the weekend and I should have it posted by Monday or Tuesday. Until then, we can keep swapping ideas until we get it just right.

First of all, I'm very sorry to hear about your personal situation.

* Perhaps to keep things simple, it might be best to leave the lock breaking before 8:00 am/door automatically unlocking at 8:00 am the way your rules originally have it. You'd probably need to modify the objective to say something like: "Escape the museum either by breaking the door locks and leaving or by exiting the doors when the timed locks automatically unlock at 8:00 am." This is due to the possibility in the rules of breaking the locks and leaving before 8:00 am. Another possibility is to just keep the objective as "survive until 8:00 am" and drop the option to break the locks. For my game, I personally like the idea of having to break through the front door to escape, and I like shocking people who screw it up. :shock:

* One thing to keep in mind is that if this is intended to be a scenario for Chain Reaction, you should be mindful of references that only pertain to the ATZ rules, such as improvised weapons (Chain Reaction doesn't have the -1d6 unarmed penalty) and getting Food results on searches. This is the main reason I opted to use the generic challenges for searches and breaking the door. I must confess, though, that I did apply the unarmed ATZ penalty in my own games. Having played so many THW titles, it's natural for me to blend rules from various sources. Oh, and I used Ed's new melee method described in a Legends of Araby AAR where he tried melee with multiple figures where all combatants roll d6 at the same time and you apply the results simultaneously rather than fighting one at a time. Very thematic! But you wouldn't need to explain that in the rules, because players will use whichever melee method they're used to playing.

* Your search method would work fine. I do like the idea of only having melee weapons available to the visitors, as I doubt the museum stashes an armory. I also like the idea of making it more difficult to find 2-handed weapons to give incentive to do more searching. Maybe the 1d6 search method is fine, and you get a 1-handed weapon if you pass 1d6 but get a 2-handed weapon if you pass 1d6 with a roll of 1.

* Oh, I also want you to know I love your rule for the wax figures dragging OOF/OD characters to the wax room. That really adds a nice, spooky touch and gives me a creepy feeling.

* I track my wax figure OD result of being stunned 1d6 activations by placing a die next to the figure and using that to count down, so it's easy for me to track several OD figures during the game. I have to do that when tracking number of turns where zombies are feasting in ATZ or the elevator arrival in Hospital 911. Perhaps an easier way to track this is to only have OD figures remove Stun status when the activation roll advances the clock.

Anyway, once your own personal situation settles, you have plenty of ideas to consider in revising the scenario. I'm happy with the tweaks I've made, so that is how I'll likely continue playing the game. I didn't get a game night tonight, so I'll run some more solo runs and introduce it to my group when the opportunity presents itself.
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:52 am

Glad you like the dragging the victim away part of the rules. I got that idea from the House of Wax movie (recent), which is probably the only good thing I got out of the movie.

To be honest, I don't even remember why I put in the lock rule in the first place. I think I'll go with your idea and just use the timed lock.

For items, you gave me an idea; Pass 1d6 - find a 1H weapon, pass 2d6 - find a 2H weapon. If you're using rules that don't include 2H weapons (like LTL), just use 1d6.

Also, the wax museum my wife and I visit has room with different themes, so I'm thinking of adding an optional table for different kinds of figures. This way, you might be chased by Queen Elizabeth, Mark Twain, Rambo, or the Mummy.

Thanks again for the ideas!
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Tekawiz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:12 am

shon maxx wrote:
Also, the wax museum my wife and I visit has room with different themes, so I'm thinking of adding an optional table for different kinds of figures. This way, you might be chased by Queen Elizabeth, Mark Twain, Rambo, or the Mummy.

What a great and hilarious idea. I guess Queen Elizabeth could have a different Rep than Rambo.

I also like the idea of bodies being dragged away.
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby davidlhsl » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:03 pm

shon maxx wrote:
For items, you gave me an idea; Pass 1d6 - find a 1H weapon, pass 2d6 - find a 2H weapon. If you're using rules that don't include 2H weapons (like LTL), just use 1d6.

I love it, and it's even more thematic! After all, brooms and mops make great two-handed weapons, and wax figures are typically equipped with props (swords, rifles and pistols w/o ammo, etc.), so I'm using that rule. Also, passing 0d6 would mean you didn't find anything yet, but could try during another activation. You should be able to find something in every room.

I considered the possibility of rolling to determine if the wax figures could use their weapons, but they are already pretty deadly as is. Also, I'm envisioning these figures as being more equivalent to zombies than acting as actual characters. That's one of the reasons the dragging rule gives me the chills, because I've seen movies where you have the zombiefied or hypnotized lackies acting in a very dull and mechanical fashion. (shudder)

With respect to wax figures going OD/OOF, I thought of another idea. Treat both results the same and remove the figure as you indicated in an earlier post. You remove the figure, roll 1d6, and place another figure at stunned status in the room you rolled to indicate another figure coming alive to replace it. Now I'm conflicted about which method I like better, because I do like the idea of being able to incapacitate a figure for 1d6 turns, but I also like the idea of generating another figure. My games have been pretty deadly as is (that shouldn't be a surprise considering I seem to have a sick fetish for shocking my characters :lol: ). I'll try the replacement method in my next games to see how it feels/plays.

Since stun has been dropped in modern THW titles, you'll probably need to explain what it means in the rules. Something like: "A figure that is stunned must spend one entire turn of activation doing nothing except remove the stunned status."

I hadn't gotten to the point in my games of actually naming the wax figures yet, but that's definitely something I should do when I introduce it to others.
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby lucky henry » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:08 pm

I've never cared for zombie or any kind of scifi games or movies, but this sounds really fun!
lucky henry
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:55 am

davidlhsl wrote:
shon maxx wrote:

I love it, and it's even more thematic! After all, brooms and mops make great two-handed weapons, and wax figures are typically equipped with props (swords, rifles and pistols w/o ammo, etc.), so I'm using that rule. Also, passing 0d6 would mean you didn't find anything yet, but could try during another activation. You should be able to find something in every room.

I considered the possibility of rolling to determine if the wax figures could use their weapons, but they are already pretty deadly as is. Also, I'm envisioning these figures as being more equivalent to zombies than acting as actual characters. That's one of the reasons the dragging rule gives me the chills, because I've seen movies where you have the zombiefied or hypnotized lackies acting in a very dull and mechanical fashion. (shudder)

With respect to wax figures going OD/OOF, I thought of another idea. Treat both results the same and remove the figure as you indicated in an earlier post. You remove the figure, roll 1d6, and place another figure at stunned status in the room you rolled to indicate another figure coming alive to replace it. Now I'm conflicted about which method I like better, because I do like the idea of being able to incapacitate a figure for 1d6 turns, but I also like the idea of generating another figure. My games have been pretty deadly as is (that shouldn't be a surprise considering I seem to have a sick fetish for shocking my characters :lol: ). I'll try the replacement method in my next games to see how it feels/plays.

Since stun has been dropped in modern THW titles, you'll probably need to explain what it means in the rules. Something like: "A figure that is stunned must spend one entire turn of activation doing nothing except remove the stunned status."

I hadn't gotten to the point in my games of actually naming the wax figures yet, but that's definitely something I should do when I introduce it to others.

Good point on the Stun. On the one hand, I'd just have them move immediately. On the other, knowing that there's something nearby just waiting to come to life is pretty creepy.

As for statues coming back to life vs. new ones appearing, I think I'll go with the latter and say that either they are statues just now coming to life or people who have been turned into statues.

Yeah they resemble zombies more than living figures, moving slowly, not speaking or reacting, etc.

In addition, the museum we visit has Ghost Walks through the museum at night, so this gave me an idea to modify the premise of the scenario slightly. The players are walking through the museum at night when a glitch or something closes the security doors and won't open until morning. This explains why they're trapped in there.

shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby shon maxx » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:57 am

Here's the revised version, updated, I hope correctly, for CH 2015. I also added a few pics for atmosphere. Enjoy!
Attachments
Wax Museum.pdf
(617.98 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby lucky henry » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:19 pm

This looks like a nice diversion between NUTS! missions. Thanks!
lucky henry
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby davidlhsl » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:53 pm

Nice touch with the pictures. Now I'm really creeped out. I'll have to try it as written* tonight, maybe even with a candle lit and the lights off.

*- translation: I'm not going to shock anybody this time
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

PreviousNext

Return to Chain Reaction and Swordplay - The Final Versions