Survive the Wax Museum! A scenario for CR3.1

Answers to your CR 3.0 and Swordplay questions.

Re: Survive the Wax Museum! A scenario for CR3.1

Postby shon maxx » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:44 pm

lucky henry wrote:This looks like a nice diversion between NUTS! missions. Thanks!

Hope you enjoy it!

davidlhsl wrote:Nice touch with the pictures. Now I'm really creeped out. I'll have to try it as written* tonight, maybe even with a candle lit and the lights off.

*- translation: I'm not going to shock anybody this time

I look forward to reading your results. Low-light atmosphere is how horror games are meant to be played!
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby davidlhsl » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:20 am

I ran the first two trials with the lights on and without bothering to name the figures, because I went into “potato chip munching” mode where I was more eager to get the ball (of wax) rolling than I was in setting any mood. For the third run, I remembered my candles and set the proper mood. For the record, you never want to tussle with Woody Allen and Marilyn Monroe when they team together.

Three tourists and the security guard (solo by me) against 8 wax figures. I allowed the wax figures to move directly towards the nearest player during their activations, and I assumed that the blinking light relocation would not trigger In Sight (Matter of fact, I completely forgot to take In Sight into account in this scenario from the outset.).

The first game was a slaughter against the players. I consistently rolled 3-4 successes for the wax figures vs. 0-2 successes for the players, so it wasn’t pretty. That was fun, because if they aren’t going to get shocked by the front door, then I don’t mind them taking a wax bath.

The second game was neat, because two figures went OOF, and the other two players carried them towards Room 8. The rules indicate that the players win automatically if the clock strikes 8:00, but I went ahead and attempted to exit anyway. I think the game’s more fun if you force the players to run through the museum instead of camping in Room 9, though I think in theory (didn’t test this) that camping would easily backfire due to all the figures eventually reaching the room to overwhelm the players. This second game was a nail biter, because it was 6:00 when they reached Room 8, and it’s usually 8:00 by the time they reach it (and often before they reach it). The win at 8:00 automatically rule can be thematic as well, representing the wax figures only being alive at night.

Now for the third game and Lights Out -- Everybody: “It… is… later… than… you… think….” (My nod to Old Time Radio, an Arch Oboler series)

One figure knocked OOF by the tag team of Monroe and Allen in a massive melee featuring all four players and five wax figures in the center of Room 4!!! Other participants: King Arthur, Paul Bunyan, and I forget the modern character. My mind blanked on historical figures, but I felt fictional characters were fair game. The characters were able to rescue their fallen guard and haul him out to Room 8 while the clock once again was ticking more slowly than in prior games. By the time one of the figures reached Room 8 and the shaking players, the clock chimed 8. I rolled activation, the players got the jump and were able to exit.

I didn’t use my room mods where Rooms 2-5 and 5-8 didn’t connect, and the change didn’t make that much difference in the trials. It will make a difference, though, if there are figures in Room 2 or 5 when the players reach Room 8, and I think that works fine. Even though it didn’t happen in my games, I assumed in tonight's games that the blinking lights allowed wax figures to move diagonally towards the players’ section if necessary, even though I play each section as a separate room.

Giving the wax figures the one-handed weapon bonus (thematic to represent the toughness of the figures, which is bound to hurt like heck when they wallop you) gives them the proper difficulty, I think. In my original runs of the games with my mods, I used the ATZ melee modifiers where unarmed is a -1 penalty and Improvised is +0. That had a nice level of difficulty. During the weekend while running a few more games, I switched to Chain Reaction and had the wax figures with +0 for no melee weapons, which was 3 dice (Rep) vs. the 5-6 dice they faced against the players using your search rules. That made the game too easy, though melee against that many figures is always scary. Your version balances this back to a level I prefer in this scenario. I also think allowing wax figures OOF/OD to be replaced in a random room without any stunned effect keeps the difficulty at a good level as well.

Final verdict: I’m very happy with the way your revised version plays.

P.S.: Did you ever see the Doctor Who episode “Blink.” That was one of the scariest episodes ever, which is why your blinking lights rules are so creepy.
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby davidlhsl » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:21 am

Edit suggestions if interested:

Taser, Damage: 1 = I assume this refers to Impact. Impact isn’t used in CR2015, but I think it’s good to include if players decide to use an older version of the reaction system. In fact, there’s actually an Old School section of the rules that assign Impact.

Deployment: Although not stated, I think readers would assume the figures would be placed randomly though d6 rolls. I tend to be verbose, but I acknowledge the THW style that trends towards brevity.

Special Instructions: “If the number rolled…” instruction pertains to the 1d6 roll described two spots above, and might be confusing to the reader. I think you could combine the instructions as follows and place after the rule “Any humans rendered OD…”:

• Whenever Doubles are rolled on Activation, the lights flicker. Roll 1d6. All statues in that section move one section toward the nearest players, unless one or more of the statues are dragging a person in which case they all move one section directly towards the Wax Room in Room 2. If this brings them into a section with players, the statues stop 1” from the closest players.

Rewards: if you were rendered OFF << should be OOF.
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:08 am

Nice walk- throughs. Thanks for the posts. i'm not a huge Dr. Who fan. I tried getting into it, but it just wasn't for me.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I was under the impression that Impact and Damage were the same number, just used differently. I tend to like using Damage better as Impact sounds like an effect, at least to me. I might add an option at the end for tweaking the rules for other games, and if I do, I'll add that.

For Deployment, I started the characters in Section 9, as far from the exit as they could be. However, since distance from the exit doesn't really matter until the end, i'm thinking of going with your idea of random placement. This could also put players in situations where they are surrounded by statues.

"Number rolled . . ." I see what you mean. I think I got mixed up when modifying the rules.

"Rewards" The Recovery table usually takes care of OOF (Not "OFF), with players either recovering or dying. The Rewards part just covers if you went OOF at all during the scenario, which is pretty standard for many THW scenarios.

Thanks again. I'll make the changes and repost as soon as I can.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby davidlhsl » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:57 am

Sorry, when I was discussing deployment, I was referring to the wax figures, not the player characters. I definitely think the players should start the game in Room 9. For some reason, I thought the original version of the scenario mentioned that you rolled 1d6 for each wax figure, but I see that it uses the same language.

Sorry about the confusion.
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:47 pm

Not a problem. Here's the updated version, with all corrections.
Attachments
Wax Museum pdf.pdf
(681.89 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby davidlhsl » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:56 pm

Thanks for indulging me, particularly during a time when you had more important real life issues to contend with.
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:47 am

davidlhsl wrote:Thanks for indulging me, particularly during a time when you had more important real life issues to contend with.

No problem. It was a fun and much-needed distraction. Plus I love horror games. Since we're close to Halloween (For the record, I consider January to be 'close to Halloween.'), I'm thinking of coming up with some more horror-themed scenarios.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby General » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:35 am

Question - do all of the living statues move towards the players when they have the initiative or only when the lights flicker?
General
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:52 am

Statues move normally on their turn toward the players (Unless they're dragging a victim away, of course!). When you roll Doubles on Activation, the lights flicker, and all statues move as if they got a free turn. I wonder if I should make it where they can move and attack, as if they won In Sight. What do you think?
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Previous

Return to Chain Reaction and Swordplay - The Final Versions