What's your favorite low-figure count rulset?

Answers to questions on other rules.

Re: What's your favorite low-figure count rulset?

Postby CthulhuKid » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:24 pm

I was thinking of getting Future Tales....it looks so dang, um, cute!

But I started playing Larger than Life, and that's kind of scratching that itch for now. I assume they're both pretty similar in style, just the nouns are changed to reflect the themes. Rather than Exotic: Jungle it's Exotic Jungle Planet. ;)
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby davidlhsl » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:56 am

CthulhuKid wrote:I was thinking of getting Future Tales....it looks so dang, um, cute!

But I started playing Larger than Life, and that's kind of scratching that itch for now. I assume they're both pretty similar in style, just the nouns are changed to reflect the themes. Rather than Exotic: Jungle it's Exotic Jungle Planet. ;)

Future Tales has a really fantastic rule called Obstacles and Hazards that I don't believe is in Larger Than Life. What I love about THW is that you can find rules in pretty much everything they offer that can be plugged into other rules, and it all works like a charm. That also makes it hazardous to my wallet. :)

LTL and FT, for their part, provides a fantastic framework for connecting one encounter to another through the quest type system. This was introduced in 5150: PI. I will often decide to set up a mini-quest in my games where I have to solve x number of clues to determine something (location of valuable item, tracking the person who hired a bounty hunter to try to take me out, etc.).
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby CthulhuKid » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Daaaannnnggggg. Now I'll need to get that.

And, of course, I just introduced my daughter to Duck Dodgers of the 24th and 1/2 Century! Which put me in the mood for Future Tales even further. *sigh*

I wonder if, at some point, we could just make the "Two Hour Index," which contains EVERYTHING from ALL the books.

"Here are 3 different ways to do In Sight, #1 is good for this style, #2 for this...etc."

"Here are rules for tanks, if you want more realism, see page..."

"Adding zombies? See page..."

"Magic can be handled in one of five ways...."

Charge, say, $150 for it and BOOM, you've got yourself the mother of all jigsaw puzzles of a game.
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby dsean » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:30 pm

I think the CthulhuKid is on to something here... All the rules, one rule per sheet (both sides), even if one side is blank because the rule isn't that long, then you can print and assemble the rule variants most liked into one 'booklet' for the game/genre you're into right now...

Where is the form for the automatic monthly direct deposit to the THW bank account....?
dsean
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Tekawiz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:13 pm

If you're a THW newcomer it's tough because there's a lot of good stuff in the earlier rule sets.

I was recently looking at ATZ Better Zed Than Dead from 2009 along with I Zombie from 2010, together you have an incredible detailed Zombie world to play in.
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Crinklechips » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:05 pm

Pzrjager wrote:I know most of THW rulesets can be low figure count, but I'm wondering what your favorite is. I've been playing some NUTS! 4th Edition, and while I love it, I'm getting a little tired of painting the same uniform over and over. I'm thinking about trying about something else for variety.

I think I prefer historicals, but if it's fun I'm open to it. Low figure count for more time gaming and less time hobbying.

If you want to maximse on gaming time then I rate the new quicker rules using a battle board. It's how I prefer to play. My faves are ATZ Evolution (Zombie Apocalypse), Talomir Tales (Fantasy) and 5150 No limits (Sci Fi). They favour story building over more crunchy combat rules.

Whatever you decide. Have fun :-)
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby shon maxx » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:18 pm

davidlhsl wrote:
CthulhuKid wrote:I was thinking of getting Future Tales....it looks so dang, um, cute!

Future Tales has a really fantastic rule called Obstacles and Hazards that I don't believe is in Larger Than Life. What I love about THW is that you can find rules in pretty much everything they offer that can be plugged into other rules, and it all works like a charm. That also makes it hazardous to my wallet. :)

LTL and FT, for their part, provides a fantastic framework for connecting one encounter to another through the quest type system. This was introduced in 5150: PI. I will often decide to set up a mini-quest in my games where I have to solve x number of clues to determine something (location of valuable item, tracking the person who hired a bounty hunter to try to take me out, etc.).

I came up with Obstacles and Hazards for FT because I really enjoy using Challenges and wanted to employ them in tge games more. FT also includes rules for Aliens and Robots. I’d love to do a 2d6 version, but I don’t think it fits with the current No Limits rules.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby Crinklechips » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:36 pm

I would really like to see Future Tales & Larger Than Life updated to the new rules set. 2 great games!
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Previous

Return to Everything Else