Anyone interested in these scripts/rules?

Answers to questions on other rules.

Anyone interested in these scripts/rules?

Postby amianthoidal » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:30 pm

Ever since I got 2HDC and WHL last year, my off-and-on hobby has been to mash the two rulesets together with some simple Python scripts. Lately I've wondered whether other people might find something fun in what I've tinkered.

What my work boils down to is making it easier for the casual gamer to have a complete adventure ready for some solo play. The PDFs I generate try to be somewhat like a choose-your-own-adventure book with numbers that point you where you need to go, see an example here: https://github.com/amianthoidal/hb_thl/blob/master/Output/dungeon.pdf The main GitHub page is https://github.com/amianthoidal/hb_thl, where you can click on the green button "clone or download" to get a zip copy of the project.

I enjoy THW because the rules give you principles rather than laws. It's fun to extend these principles and see that they still make a playable game. I hope then that my little project here gives people some ideas and some people here can give me some ideas on what to do next.
amianthoidal
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Anyone interested in these scripts/rules?

Postby lucky henry » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:31 pm

Very reminiscent of Avalon Hill Ambush! game play.
lucky henry
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby amianthoidal » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:38 am

Interesting. I was able to find these rules for Ambush! but they seem to be missing the "brains" of the game, as they put it. On a Youtube playthrough, you can see what looked like multiple sheets with codes + events. Could be a good source of ideas.

I am reminded a bit of Betrayal at the House on the Hill's "haunts". There is a full list of them here, starting at page 11: http://www.headlesshollow.com/downloads ... ill_v4.pdf It would be fun to have scenarios where you maybe have to investigate something or solve a mystery before you can confront/banish/talk-down the Big Bad.
amianthoidal
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby UrzaMightstone » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:58 pm

Would be interested in this a lot- but the links are both dead. Is the OP still around? Using scripts to make a story-like outcome sounds brilliant.
UrzaMightstone
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:32 pm

UrzaMightstone wrote:Would be interested in this a lot- but the links are both dead. Is the OP still around? Using scripts to make a story-like outcome sounds brilliant.

Yeah, victim of the "update" that killed a lot of PDFs.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby amianthoidal » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:30 am

UrzaMightstone wrote:Would be interested in this a lot- but the links are both dead. Is the OP still around? Using scripts to make a story-like outcome sounds brilliant.

Yup, I'm still around. I've resurrected the links. I hope you find them interesting.

Yeah, it would be nice to have scripts that generate stories. If I had a big dataset of example, I think I'd enjoy attempting it. 8-)
amianthoidal
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby UrzaMightstone » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:42 pm

Thank you, much appreciated!!!

I am working on an economy overhaul for this game (see my post under fantasy) focused on running a grimdark Black Company like mercenary outfit. I am also trying to make interesting quests with random encountered and pregen PEFs to throw at the mercenaries. So far i am using a variation of what/who/where/opposition/reward found in other settings. I made some quick tables with 10 results each, and i roll the die hoping something fun and lethal will pop up. Then i import the result into a card, and print out several of them with a REP rating that matches the random encounter/PEF in each of them. I then have the mercs draw one or more when a new contract is needed. Of course, payment is only upon completion so some extra questing is also needed to keep the mercs alive.

When done i will post it here together with the economy home rules.

Best.
UrzaMightstone
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby amianthoidal » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:16 pm

Ah, the Black Company books. Those were good.

My way of dealing with encounters is to set up monster metadata: https://github.com/amianthoidal/minicarg/blob/master/Data/monster_meta.csv Each monster belongs to one of these family, each family belongs to a group, and each of these groups has a preference for day/night, outdoors/indoors, East/West, etc. The data can get quite complex, but the computer takes care of all of it.

This kind of data can be made into a simple webapp like this: https://rawgit.com/amianthoidal/minicarg/master/unit_roller.html Your mercenaries can fight waves and waves of computer-generated baddies.

It can also be condensed into tables on paper for you to roll with dice. It's a matter of approximating what the computer does with pen & paper.
amianthoidal
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby UrzaMightstone » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Hello again,

Thank you for your reply.

I am sold. But i have no programming skills. I downloaded the applet but couldn't run it. If the app was .exe or similar, it would make running it easier. The one hosted online is awesome and i would love to have a "portable" version to "roll" some encounters with.

Real good job with this tool.
UrzaMightstone
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby amianthoidal » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:24 pm

Have you read the Dread Empires books by Glen Cook? Feels like a richer universe to set an RPG in.
amianthoidal
Rep 3
Rep 3

Return to Everything Else