Budget CR Soloing

Answers to your CR 3.0 and Swordplay questions.

Budget CR Soloing

Postby evandro » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:51 pm

Hello everybody,
I tried Chain Reaction a few years ago (I think it was before 2015) and I was put down by the number of tables. I re-read the rule-book recently and this time everything seemed much simpler: something I can hope to learn with a few test games, and then play without even looking at the QRS.
Anyway, here is the report of my most recent solo game. Everything is very much "on the cheap", plastic army men made in China and stuff from the flea market to go with this great FREE rule-set :D

https://solounmondodicarta.wordpress.co ... l-mission/

s.jpg
s.jpg (35.88 KiB) Viewed 436 times
evandro
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Budget CR Soloing

Postby THW » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:31 pm

evandro wrote:Hello everybody,
I tried Chain Reaction a few years ago (I think it was before 2015) and I was put down by the number of tables. I re-read the rule-book recently and this time everything seemed much simpler: something I can hope to learn with a few test games, and then play without even looking at the QRS.
Anyway, here is the report of my most recent solo game. Everything is very much "on the cheap", plastic army men made in China and stuff from the flea market to go with this great FREE rule-set :D

https://solounmondodicarta.wordpress.co ... l-mission/

s.jpg

You have it right, it's about the game. As for things getting streamlined, you're right. Listening to what people were saying I condensed the tables but kept the math straight - same results, less rolling.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby TXWargamer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Well done and thanks for the AAR.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby Redmao » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:33 pm

Those AARs were awesome.
Building blocks and toy soldiers, just like in Floor Games.
Looking forward to the next episode.
Redmao
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby evandro » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:59 am

Thank you TXWargamer and Redmao!
Since I enjoyed my first test games, I decided to start a mini-campaign with the simple scheme provided in the rule-set. All encounters are interesting and surprising.
In the last Patrol, my squad was so greedy that, seeing the enemies at a disadvantage, they tried to kill them all instead of completing their mission. In the process, I also found out that charging enemies in cover is not a great idea. The game resulted in my squad being swiped out, but it was still GREAT fun :D

https://solounmondodicarta.wordpress.co ... mission-4/

zurqana.jpg
zurqana.jpg (31.88 KiB) Viewed 360 times
evandro
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby TXWargamer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Greatness!

You have honestly inspired me to get a few projects going in the old school style aka 10 year old John playing with airfix figures right out of the box. Gaming may have never been better than that! While I have too many painted figures that never get used I plan to pullout a box of two of figures glue them on pennies and go nuts! I may even get an AAR up as you did.

Thanks for the reminder that the fun is just tossing some dice.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby shon maxx » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:49 pm

Pretty cool. I tend to use plastic figures for a number of my games as well since I'd rather spend my $ on the games themselves. There have been a few exceptions, but they're rare.
shon maxx
Rep 6
Rep 6

Postby evandro » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:11 am

Thank you for your kind words, TXWargamer and Shon!

TXWargamer wrote:Greatness!

You have honestly inspired me to get a few projects going in the old school style aka 10 year old John playing with airfix figures right out of the box. Gaming may have never been better than that! While I have too many painted figures that never get used I plan to pullout a box of two of figures glue them on pennies and go nuts! I may even get an AAR up as you did.

I would absolutely love to see that!

Thanks for the reminder that the fun is just tossing some dice.

As Redmao wrote above, it's the spirit of Floor Games... we just play the game :)
But tossing dice with a great set of rules (even if with cheap toys) is so much more rewarding than with poor rules! Also, as a solo player, I slowly realized that I am not in search for a tactical challenge as much as an interesting and unpredictable story. Chain Reaction seems to work very well in this respect.
evandro
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby TXWargamer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:58 pm

The story adds so much and allows an almost RPG feel to the games and campaigns.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Return to Chain Reaction and Swordplay - The Final Versions