2 Player versions/suggestions

For unofficial add-ons, ideas, and general what ifs.

2 Player versions/suggestions

Postby TweednDust » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:54 pm

Being rather new here, and have just started to look at the THW-games (LTL, CR, FWL, Lemuria, St:M, Lovecrafts Revenge) I've noticed most people here seem to run them solo. Some of the games though state that they can be played co-op or against an other player.

I am curious on how you guys have handled the co-op play, if you have tried it. Or the head to head one, even though I am more interested in the co-op play at the moment.
TweednDust
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: 2 Player versions/suggestions

Postby Atomic Floozy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:31 pm

I've run co-op games of Mission St. Mary & the version of Adventures in the Lost Lands which utilized Chain Reaction 3.1 at conventions. I allowed each player to be a star & lead a group of explorers. I use plastic cocktail monkeys as PEF markers. You use basically the same mechanics as solo play. In some games I allowed only one activation d6 per side & in others I allowed each group to roll it's own activation d6 - this latter method naturally resulted in more doubles and more PEFs.

I've run and played in several games of Colonial Adventures that were head-to-head. In those cases each side rolls activation d6 & there are no PEFs since each side has defined groups of troops.

One of the keys to co-op play is to pre-generate the PEFs before the game starts and construct a simple table. For instance in Mission St. Mary possible resolutions were Arab slavers, hostile natives, lions, raptors, and in one section of the board, Kong himself was a possibility. It speeds up game play in that you don't have to pause the game to roll up the composition of the opposing force, you just have to roll for what they are & how many.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby THW » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:05 pm

Another head to head is give each player 2 PEF markers and write down what each one actually is. Then have them use the PEF Movement Table for both sides.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby TweednDust » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:47 pm

Atomic Floozy wrote:I've run co-op games of Mission St. Mary & the version of Adventures in the Lost Lands which utilized Chain Reaction 3.1 at conventions. I allowed each player to be a star & lead a group of explorers. I use plastic cocktail monkeys as PEF markers. You use basically the same mechanics as solo play. In some games I allowed only one activation d6 per side & in others I allowed each group to roll it's own activation d6 - this latter method naturally resulted in more doubles and more PEFs.

Sounds fun. Did you use only a single table/encounter or did you do a campaign game with travel between several? Does activation doubles do anything else then force a re-role? And and regarding more PEF's, that is because more sides generates more defining moment-PEF's, have I got that right?

Atomic Floozy wrote:I've run and played in several games of Colonial Adventures that were head-to-head. In those cases each side rolls activation d6 & there are no PEFs since each side has defined groups of troops.

One of the keys to co-op play is to pre-generate the PEFs before the game starts and construct a simple table. For instance in Mission St. Mary possible resolutions were Arab slavers, hostile natives, lions, raptors, and in one section of the board, Kong himself was a possibility. It speeds up game play in that you don't have to pause the game to roll up the composition of the opposing force, you just have to roll for what they are & how many.

That sounds like a good thing to do, and I guess gear it after your miniatures supply.
Thanks for the suggestions!
TweednDust
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby TweednDust » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:56 pm

THW wrote:Another head to head is give each player 2 PEF markers and write down what each one actually is. Then have them use the PEF Movement Table for both sides.

Sounds like an interesting way of doing it. Do you make the FEF's hidden parts of the players forces or potentially neutral or aggressive third party forces? Both versions will of course add the fun uncertainty PEF's contribute with.

Also a good suggestion, thanks!
TweednDust
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:28 pm

Should be 3 PEFs. All enemies or if you want they can be NPCs, neutrals, etc.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Atomic Floozy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:14 pm

The convention games that I've run used a single encounter, usually a modified Patrol encounter. I have played in Larger Than Life games that involved travel. There are a couple of guys here in the Dallas area who run Edgar Rice Burroughs themed games. One year they ran a Tarzan game that took place in various sections of jungle and the city of Opar, which culminated in the palace of Queen La.

PEF generation varies slightly from game to game. In Fortunes Won & Lost, rolling doubles on activation generates a new PEF. In Adventures in the Lost Lands, anytime the total of the activation dice equals 7, a new PEF is created. Mission St. Mary uses the defining moment to generate new PEFs.
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby TweednDust » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:39 pm

Atomic Floozy wrote:PEF generation varies slightly from game to game. In Fortunes Won & Lost, rolling doubles on activation generates a new PEF. In Adventures in the Lost Lands, anytime the total of the activation dice equals 7, a new PEF is created. Mission St. Mary uses the defining moment to generate new PEFs.

Look at that, I had completely missed that detail. As FWL was rather slim I probably figured it was the same activation rules as in Chain Reaction. Sounds like a fun rule though.

THW wrote:Should be 3 PEFs. All enemies or if you want they can be NPCs, neutrals, etc.
A few Grey Apes or maybe a Pterodactyl might always add some random fun to an encounter. Speaking of dinosaurs, is there rules for flying dinos in Lost Lands?
TweednDust
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Atomic Floozy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm currently playing a FWL campaign and the streamlined rules are fantastic. They play much better than CR for colonials & old west in my opinion. You should give FWL a try if you haven't already done so. I really like the way in sights are handled by the Action table.
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby TweednDust » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:18 pm

Atomic Floozy wrote:I'm currently playing a FWL campaign and the streamlined rules are fantastic. They play much better than CR for colonials & old west in my opinion. You should give FWL a try if you haven't already done so. I really like the way in sights are handled by the Action table.

I'll definitely take a closer look. So far I have to little experience with the different games be able to judge the subtle differences.
TweednDust
Rep 3
Rep 3

Return to Homebrew