THW solo game "companion" ?

For unofficial add-ons, ideas, and general what ifs.

THW solo game "companion" ?

Postby demether » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:44 pm

Recently, with our discussion about battletech, I thought about something again (I already had the same idea sometime ago). THW is full of cool games, almost in every style, era or thematic. "Almost" is the problem.

Sometimes, even if the game thematic exists, we still prefers (for good reasons or not) some "good old rules" that we loved years ago, but cannot play anymore, because the game is not published anymore, or no players are playing it in our area.

So it would be nice if THW would produce a wargaming solo companion/guide. Something without any thematic, wich could be "plugged" to any ruleset and universe we like.

For instance, I like Mutant chronicles warzone (out of print). I like the figures, but I also like the system. But there is no rules for solo. It would be nice that thw brings some guide to "inject" solo mechanics in the game, and how to run a campaign this way, for instance.

Basically, there is 3 kinds of games available these days : classic IGO UGO system, alternate unit system, and alternate system with reaction. Or sometimes, a mix of diferent systems.

In the solo companion, we would find a way to manage this, with a way to deploy and bring some unpredicatable fog of war, but also a way to include reaction system not necessary in the game itself (if the game is IGOUGO), but in the way the "AI" will react.

in one word, it would be a "toolbox" to manage solo gaming in any ruleset, any period, any genre. Including generic campaign system. This kind of toolbox exists for roleplay games : you "plug" the toolbox to any rpg (D&D, cyberpunk, whatever) and you can play it solo or coop against the game.

I'm not sure to be understable :lol: but I would pay for this kind of stuff. And I'm pretty sure it would be interesting for a lot of people.
Owner of : Warrior Heroes : Legends - Larger than life - 5150 NewBeginings - Rally Round the King - All thing Zombie + Risks deck - 5150 Star Navy - NUTS! + Clash Of Titans + Stalingrad : Heroes All - NUTS Big Battles
demether
Rep 5
Rep 5

Re: THW solo game "companion" ?

Postby THW » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:59 pm

Try using Chain Reaction. It would be a good start.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby demether » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:13 pm

thank you for your answer,

I know, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Obvously, things like PEF system can be used directly from chain reaction, but I'm more looking for a generic campaign and scenario generator, with some kind of AI (with some motivation and behaviour generator too) I could use for any game.

A bit like these available solo systems wich are dedicated for roleplaying games.
Owner of : Warrior Heroes : Legends - Larger than life - 5150 NewBeginings - Rally Round the King - All thing Zombie + Risks deck - 5150 Star Navy - NUTS! + Clash Of Titans + Stalingrad : Heroes All - NUTS Big Battles
demether
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby THW » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Okay, that could be Go a-Viking coming out next month with an Acheson Creations Kickstarter. Kind of Rally Round the King Campaign rules meet Star Army.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby EasyEight » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:38 pm

demether wrote:thank you for your answer,

I know, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Obvously, things like PEF system can be used directly from chain reaction, but I'm more looking for a generic campaign and scenario generator, with some kind of AI (with some motivation and behaviour generator too) I could use for any game.

A bit like these available solo systems wich are dedicated for roleplaying games.

Star Marine has a campaign generation system tied to what's called the "Big Event" -- basically you're a marine, stuff happens and your unit may be deployed to deal with it. The type of event and the location lead you to a Mission table that lets you generate a range of scenarios for your Star.
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby davidlhsl » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:30 pm

demether wrote:thank you for your answer,

With respect to an A.I. system that can be used with board/miniatures type games, perhaps "The Solo System" would be useful:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/206 ... stem/files

This contains free PDF files you can download (you have to register on Board Game Geek), and you can also purchase printed cards via The Game Crafter's website (print-on-demand).

It uses a similar principle as Mythic's GM Emulator in that it requires interpretation, logic, and has a system that can veto your first choice. However, it also has tools for randomly determining direction, betting (or how to split forces), and personality type/play style that are tailored towards board/miniature games as opposed to the more open-ended style of role-playing games that Mythic is designed towards.

Keep in mind that board/miniature games are different than role playing games. They are far more structured, are more dependent on play balance, and have strict and limited mechanics on goals and what you can and can not do. Because of this, a generic system that serves everything is far more difficult to achieve.
davidlhsl
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby EasyEight » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:01 pm

davidlhsl wrote:With respect to an A.I. system that can be used with board/miniatures type games, perhaps "The Solo System" would be useful:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/206 ... stem/files

This contains free PDF files you can download (you have to register on Board Game Geek), and you can also purchase printed cards via The Game Crafter's website (print-on-demand).

It uses a similar principle as Mythic's GM Emulator in that it requires interpretation, logic, and has a system that can veto your first choice. However, it also has tools for randomly determining direction, betting (or how to split forces), and personality type/play style that are tailored towards board/miniature games as opposed to the more open-ended style of role-playing games that Mythic is designed towards.

Keep in mind that board/miniature games are different than role playing games. They are far more structured, are more dependent on play balance, and have strict and limited mechanics on goals and what you can and can not do. Because of this, a generic system that serves everything is far more difficult to achieve.

Interesting system, yet it seems similar in function to the AI system in THW except for the concept of an enemy commander value, which is a nice idea. Let me walk you through an example of a co-op NUTS! War Against Japan game I played in which three human players controlled a platoon of USMC at Tulagi. Each player had one squad, and one of them also had the HQ element. The Japanese forces were controlled by the NUTS PEF/NP action rules. Historically in this engagement the USMC had landed at Tulagi, a smaller island north of Guadalcanal, to take it and deny the Japanese a resupply and bastion point -- after hard fighting the USMC had pushed the Japanese into a corner of the island, and at night the Japanese launched a series of Banzai charges -- the first massed Banzai charges the USMC had faced.

Mission: Defend
Time of Day: Rolled randomly as "Night"
EAL: 4
Support: 0
PEFs: EAL+1d6 = 4+1d6, rolled a 6 -- 10 PEFS!

Since it was a Japanese "Attack" there was an "Infiltration" roll to see how close to the defenders they approached before being discovered -- at night in the Jungle, that meant close fighting really quickly. The NP Forces were controlled according to the movement and attack rules in NUTS! FV (p.67) -- move forward or flank, what support weapons will do, while fall backs are handled by the combat results and so on. The game played out much like the actual event, which is pretty cool. You can ready the BATREP here: https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... japan-aar/

What would be interesting to add is the idea of an Enemy Commander -- right now in NUTS! the enemy acts according to the EAL and REP of the forces involved, but across history we have seen how a commander can influence the outcome of a battle (for good or bad). So some kind of way to create that Commander would be interesting -- aggressive, risk taker, coward, defender, etc. that influences the NP movement table outcomes, or perhaps use a modified set of NP tables.
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby demether » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:50 pm

@david : you nailed it, it's more something like that I was lookink for. A THW publication dedicated to solo and coop gaming in ANY ruleset, not another thw universe paste on the chain reaction system.
demether
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby WargamingR » Tue May 16, 2017 10:30 pm

EasyEight - thanks for reminding me of that AAR - I remember reading it when you first published it - and bought WAJ on the strength of it :-)
Cheers, Iain

Sometimes I write interesting things at http://www.wargamingresources.info
WargamingR
Rep 5
Rep 5

Return to Homebrew