Introduce yourself

Anything non-gaming related.

Introduce yourself

Postby ThePup » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:33 pm

It seems to be an unwritten law of forums that somewhere among the structure is an introduction topic. So, in sticking with that, what the heck, introduce yourself if you want to. Regular poster or pure lurker, THW pro, or rookie, say G'day here.
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw
ThePup
Rep 7 - Halfassed Webmaster

Location: Frozen hell-hole that we decided to call our capital, Australia

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby ThePup » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:45 pm

Me? I'm Pup. You may know me better as Chris D from the Yahoo group. "ThePup" does have a story behind it, and has been my forum and gaming handle for at least the last 10 years.

I'm currently in the Top End of Australia. That's an actual geographical location in the Northern Territory, not just saying I'm somewhere in the top chunk of Australia. I discovered THW via the "Wargames Mongrels" group some time ago when an old guy who went by "BadDawg" or "DAWGIE" mentioned it. I looked into it and purchased Chain Reaction 2. Not long after, Ed asked on the group if anyone knew anything about webpages, as he wanted to rebuild his. No one else responded, so I said I wasn't great, but could fumble my way through it, and I've been fumbling my way through various incarnations of the site, and now forums, since. :)

I readily admit to being primarily a "theoretical wargamer". Despite having most of the rulesets, I rarely get a chance to actually play :( still, I enjoy reading through new sets, and occasionally get to throw down some miniatures, counters or something to play with. I love using actual pretty looking miniatures and terrain, but if I get a chance to play I'll use anything from minis to paper stands to magnetic tokens on a whiteboard with terrain drawn on.

So, that's my tale, who's up next?
"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw
ThePup

Location: Frozen hell-hole that we decided to call our capital, Australia

Postby Desert Scribe » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Hey Chris! I guess I'll take a shot.

I'm Mack, and I've been a wargamer and RPGer off and on for some time. My gaming really picked up a few years ago when I finished law school, and you can read about my hobby on my blog, Super Galactic Dreadnought.

I met Ed through a mutual friend at a local game convention, and since we lived in the same town at the time (Ed has since moved to Arizona), we started gaming together on a regular basis. I was fortunate enough to help playtest several Two Hour Wargames at Ed's place, and to play many more.

Ed knew of my interest in science fiction gaming, especially spaceships, and he asked me to help him develop a large-scale starship combat game. We worked on the rules for several months, writing and discarding rules as we went--the final version of the game is nothing like what it started out as! 5150: Star Navy hit the market back in January, and I'm thrilled to have my name on a professional wargaming product.
Desert Scribe
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby flashcove » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:13 pm

Flashcove is my name on lots of boards and forums because Flashman would have to have a high number behind it.

I'm one of the old hands at TWH, starting before Guns & Girls (Chain Reaction). My true love is colonials, especially the NWF and Boxer Rebellion. But, due to the nature of my job, I play a lot of skirmish, so ATZ in all its incarnations, M & M, ATL, WH A&A, etc. I have everything except some of the sport rules, since I have no interest in sports at all.

Since Katrina changed the New Orleans world most of my gaming is solo, or the at 5 conventions we have semi-locally. I would rather GM than play, and rather paint miniatures than play. However, that doesn't mean that I don't play at conventions. Thru the years, I have found that every other rule system I've played at conventions has lots more boring spots than any THW product. THW keeps you involved, because you may always have to react, such as when the tank at the other end of the table decides to lay some HE on your MG. I did something similar in an early WWII game at Bayou Wars, wiping out a German MG team with my French MG team the opposing played didn't realize was a threat to him.

At times, I help proofread Ed's rules, so you can bemoan the proofreaders. It is amazing what 3 or 4 of us can miss. :oops:

I stared with The Sword and The Flame and Rogue Trader, but moved on from them once I found TWH.

Some of my local friends call me Ed's sock puppet, and you know what? I kinda like that! I've played many system. SAGA is nice and cute, DBA can be fun, but I prefer RRtK and Montjoie!
The only good zombie no longer moves.
Flashcove
flashcove
Rep 7 - Moderator
Rep 7 - Moderator

Postby JohnReb » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:02 pm

My turn now, I guess.

I started war gaming with Avalon Hill boardgames back in high school. That was quite a while ago. Let us just say I was an experienced war gamer by the Bicentennial. I got into D&D while in the Navy because the rule books and some paper and dice were all you really needed, and I could fit all that in my "rack". After, I was lucky enough to find a wife who does not understand, but doesn't mind my gaming.

I found out about THW through the Great TMP Cover Blowup. Being the type who wants it proven to me, I went to see what was so horrible about this cover. It made me and my wife laugh, I bought a copy and have been hooked since.

I rarely actually game. Being in NYC there are several gaming groups, but most are either locked onto their own rules or too far to travel to. Staten Island is sort of the farthest borough in that way. So, both out of necessity and convenience, I do solo most often. I have played with paper counters, in fact I still have a few Altoid tins with forces organized in them. I have a 3 year old granddaughter running around the house now, so it's better she destroy a paper counter by accident than a well worked miniature, both for her and the miniature. I've gamed with Ed at a convention or two. Every bit as nice in person as he is on the lists.

Another fan of DAWGIE. I loved reading his AARs or scenario plans. Now I wish I had kept and filed those latter.

y son points out that a photograph of me would closely resemble my avatar. I wonder if that's good or bad.

As flashcove, I've done some of the proofreading for ED. It is enjoyable, but certainly humbling when you find how much you can miss. Now you guys have a couple of people to blame instead of Ed for those typos. :oops:
Snatching defeat from the jaws of Victory
http://johnrebwargamer.blogspot.com/
JohnReb
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby Ruarigh » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi,

I'm Ruarigh. I run the Talomir Tales campaign and was Brother Cedric's foe for ages. That reminds me that I really should get around to sorting that side of the campaign out.

Cheers,
R
Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Ruarigh
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Hugh » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Hi, Just moved over from the old site. Hoping all is well.
Hugh
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby Carmen » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi, all!
I'm Carmen, (of the blog Carmen's Fun Painty Time.)
On the old forum, I was known as evilcartoonist (owing to my past occupation as a political cartoonist.)
Now, I'm the copy chief at the local newspaper. (And if I have typos here, it's because I don't bring my work home.)

I enjoy painting minis (most anything from 25mm to 54mm) and talking shop.
My favorite THW titles are all of the Red Sand series, Friday Night Fights, Charioteer (and a soon-to-come spinoff.)

Glad to be at a dedicated THW forum with whom I know are a great bunch of people!
Brother Pilot
Carmen
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Redmao » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:56 pm

I'm Mat aka Firepatate on the Yahoo group and I'm the new guy who's been asking about sneaking around rules.
I've played AD&D and Cyberpunk in my teen years, but I'm new to solo wargaming and I'm looking forward to it.
Gives me something to do with the 1/72 figures I've been collecting.
Redmao
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Atomic Floozy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:37 am

I'm Elaine... yeah, that Elaine. I was once a virtuous woman doing womanly things. Once upon a time I painted watercolor landscapes & ate dainty cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off. Then one day, my son who was 11 at the time (he's 35 now), asked me to help him paint something. "Sure, sweetie." He plopped a space marine on the table. I've been painting miniatures & gaming ever since.

Several years ago, the FLGS where we gamed closed. The owner's wife got a dream job offer in Alabama, so he closed up & moved his store to Alabama. Since then, I play mostly solo, sometimes with family & friends, & at the few local conventions in the Dallas area.

I was looking for a good skirmish set to play Cyberpunk & Ghost in the Shell games. There was talk about this game called Guns & Girls or was it Girls & Guns? Anyway, it got good reviews. When I looked for reviews on "The Miniatures Page", there were a bunch of guys behaving like little old ladies with their panties in a wad over the title. So when, I finally got to place an order, the rules had been renamed Chain Reaction. I've been hooked ever since.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Next

Return to General Discussion