Grown Up Serious Adult Type Question

Anything non-gaming related.

Grown Up Serious Adult Type Question

Postby Kiwi Kol » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:28 am

Friday marked a year since my father passed away - and it got me thinking about updating my will. Well, that, and the fact that the kids have booked me for a parachute jump ... (seriously, they have! :o )
So, what are you doing with all your gaming/figures/books/boardgames stuff? I'm thinking my adult kids won't be in the least bit interested in any of it. So, do I leave it to the gaming group I vaguely know? The figures to the local wargames club that I occasionally visit? I mean, some of this stuff dates back to the 70's and probably isn't around anymore. Is anybody actually interested, should this all be consigned to the great rubbish dump/funeral pyre?
Kiwi Kol
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: Grown Up Serious Adult Type Question

Postby WargamingR » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi Colin

I just turned 59 and my daughter will be 7 in May. My gaming buddies are only a couple of years behind me (I'm the oldest of the group) and they don't need more stuff, so it is a question I have also asked myself.

In the event of my untimely demise, I have asked for one of my mates to come and sort out the valuable stuff from the rubbish and to either make an offer for it or to put it on eBay on behalf of my family. I would rather see it go to be used than scrapped.

I'm also hoping that my daughter gets into gaming in the future and will at least play with the fantasy stuff - I'm not expecting her to play with the medieval/moderns/sci-fi stuff.

In the distant past when I was in a couple of gaming clubs, that was how we handled the situation for someone who was a regular/popular member - someone would help the family get the best value for all their gaming stuff as a way of showing our appreciation for the recently deceased.

Good luck.
Cheers, Iain

Sometimes I write interesting things at http://www.wargamingresources.info
WargamingR
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Lucky Luke » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:13 pm

The last year I found on Facebook that a gaming club gathered in a pub near my house...I was intrigued by the quite energetic post of the members and had a try...I learned that this gaming club was called "100 stazioni" (100 stations) because this was the nickname of a well-loved gamer passed away too soon; before the disease killed him, he wanted to start this gaming club and his friends dubbed it after this very special fellow...

Well, it's not a bad thing to be remembered for...
V6 !

Lucky Luke

Miniature,Boardgame and Wargaming: http://www.militarywargaming.com
Lucky Luke
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:07 pm

I've seen at conventions where a fellow's collection was sold there and the proceeds given to the family.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby jamemurp » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:56 pm

Having a will is one of the most important things that you can do. Wills aren't for you- they are for your family and those who survive you. As much as people don't like to think about mortality, putting it off usually just leads to ugliness down the line. So good on you for taking care of it!

Wills can have specific provisions or general conveyances. Usually, property is just split among heirs based on liquidated value, but it doesn't have to be done that way. If you are concerned that you have items that may have value that is not immediately obvious, you may want to have an appraisal of the estate done as a condition of the will. Generally though, unless you have a huge collection or outstanding paint (say by a well known painter), miniatures and similar games are just a niche hobby that can be fairly tough to see any money worth the effort of selling them. Ebaying is very common.

For me, I have insurance policies in the event of my death to cover the expenses and will leave the gaming stuff up to my wife with the understanding that it's perfectly okay to just trash or give away everything, just like any of my other personal property.
jamemurp
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Bill Owen » Tue May 17, 2016 4:23 am

Related to this is what you might do to slim down now. There are some people who have some pretty amazing collections with exceptional paint jobs. Ebay will usually get the best market value because of the exceptional worldwide reach and specialized nature of the listings. Maybe it would help to hear how it worked for me since it was like a little part-time job for a couple of years... before mold, flood or fire destroyed it all.

I sold a hundreds of boardgames, fantasy stuff and some miniatures in a total of 500 lots for tens of thousands of dollars. Lots of unpunched, offbeat games. A few of the items went for $.99* and yet I felt that at least someone got it that wanted it, and others for $1900 (an early copy of Chainmail rules)!

I didn't want my daughter to have to puzzle about the gargantuan pile in the basement some day and felt that it was kinder to slim down to what I could readily move with.

A friend heard about my "haul" and asked me to sell most of his boardgames because he felt that they might have peaked in value. He insisted I take 50% even though I thought a lower percentage would be more of market rate. His reasoning was that I'd write them up well and take appropriate photos. Incidentally, I made a point to focus on flaws and understate condition; my logic was that the collectors would gain trust thereby and be more apt to but from me in the future.

*I started everything at $.99 with no "reserve", thinking that it would help cheapskates get in on the bidding early but nearly all moved up in price beyond what I would have set the reserve at. And many times tripled in the last 30 seconds. But if it sold cheap, like an early 1968 Games Research copy of Diplomacy for $5, I got over it when the buyer said "my friends and I in the dorm are going to have a lot of fun with this!" That's the idea.

I posted the items about 10-20 per weekend on a Sunday at about 4PM Central Time. I looked up at various spots around the world and felt that would make it convenient enough for international times. Indeed I sold a lot to the UK, Germany and Japan.

PS A bonus benefit, some of the rare things were scanned and posted on line where I could much more easily look at them than searching through a box. So when people ask me odd questions about Judges Guild, I can just go to the Acaeum.com or TomeOfTreasures etc. and see some of my stuff!
Bill Owen
Rep 4
Rep 4

Return to General Discussion