French-Indian War: I need...

Anything non-ruleset related. Modelling, Terrain, Miniatures, Dice... If it's to do with gaming but isn't a ruleset then put it here.

French-Indian War: I need...

Postby Whiteface » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:26 am

...a good inspiration for painting miniatures. Usually I would buy two or three small books from Osprey, but to cover the FIW I need at last six of those, probably even more.

Is there a single book about the FIW with lots of coloured paintings of regular infantry, militia and natives (or a rule book with shiny pictures of miniatures)?
I need just enough detail to create believable (generic) units, but do not care about accurately painting a specific unit (47th line infantry or whatever). Anyway, even for a simplified Hollywood-Level-Of-Detail I need some inspiration.

Thank you

Oliver / Whiteface
Whiteface
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: French-Indian War: I need...

Postby TXWargamer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:17 am

I switched from osprey to watching my favorite movie on the topic. In my mind and to most gamers, I found that's what folks envision. In all seriousness, I recommend watch the latest Last of the Mohicans and you'll be right on. In the movie you get French, British, natives, and colonial types for both sides.

Google will return really good images too including some from osprey books.

Just my thoughts.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby Whiteface » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Oh, I really like The Last of the Mohicans. Without that movie I wouldn't be interested in the FIW. It's just that I don't like painting in front of a running laptop.
Whiteface
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:52 pm

Whiteface wrote:Oh, I really like The Last of the Mohicans. Without that movie I wouldn't be interested in the FIW. It's just that I don't like painting in front of a running laptop.

Can you put it on pause?
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Whiteface » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Yes, I think so.
Whiteface
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby TXWargamer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:55 am

I have even used my phone to take a picture of the tv screen. It worked pretty well.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby Atomic Floozy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:20 am

Why don't you just google Last of the Mohicans & search for images instead of web sites. It would pull up a lot of still shots from the movie. You could also just Google French Indian War & select images & find most of the Osprey illustrations. You can also search Kronoscaf 7YW project & pull up the Battle descriptions of battles fought in North America & it will give you uniform descriptions where they are known.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby TXWargamer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:44 am

Atomic Floozy wrote:Why don't you just google Last of the Mohicans & search for images instead of web sites. It would pull up a lot of still shots from the movie. You could also just Google French Indian War & select images & find most of the Osprey illustrations. You can also search Kronoscaf 7YW project & pull up the Battle descriptions of battles fought in North America & it will give you uniform descriptions where they are known.

Exactly my advice above.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby RussinMcAllen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:38 am

Take the images you found on your search (I won't use the G word), use Publisher or some other program to place them on a page big enough for them to be useful. Then save that as a PDF file, take that to your local print shop and let them print it out. Might cost you a buck or so, but you won't have to paint in front of your PC.

Russ
RussinMcAllen
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Whiteface » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:02 am

Kronoscaf seems like a perfect source for regular infantry. Everything else is probably available with Goigle.

Thank you

Oliver / Whiteface
Whiteface
Rep 4
Rep 4

Next

Return to The Hobby