pen/paper strategy on the road

Anything non-ruleset related. Modelling, Terrain, Miniatures, Dice... If it's to do with gaming but isn't a ruleset then put it here.

pen/paper strategy on the road

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi folks. I'm sitting in a hospital as my wife undergoes a thyroidectomy. Not too scary. I've been scouring the web this morning for a solo pen and paper type of game I can play with my smartphone using just a notes app and a dice app but that involves some strategy, or at least some decision making. I don't want any kind of map unless I can play the game without tracking anything on the map.

So far I've come up with nothing, and I have no good ideas. I'm starting to wonder if such a game is possible. Then I thought if anyone can help with this it will be you folks with your great imaginations. Sounds like the new dungeon crawl game is a step in that direction, though I'd prefer something more like a wargame.

Anybody ever played a solo strategy game with just pen, paper, and dice? Or could imagine something like it to get me started? Someone on BGG had an idea for a Battleship type of game with more complexity, but they didn't have any solid ideas. Might be a good jumping-off point.
Missiles in Managua: Sandies and Spetsnaz assault a Contra hideout!
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Re: pen/paper strategy on the road

Postby THW » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:35 pm

You could play CR with pen and paper.
Reduce the action to one section of the table at a time. So only those in section 8 would affect others in section 8.
Move section by section.
When you move into the section do In Sight, etc. normal. Count Duck bakc as flee to another section. Resolve all the action in the section before advancing the turn. So the fellow that ducks back out of the section does nothing until the the action in the section he left is resolved.
Just some quick thoughts.
Best wishes to the Mrs. and a speedy recovery.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:42 pm

Thanks! Her surgery's finished, and it went perfectly.

I had thought about something like that, but hadn't carried it that far. I suppose you could even do a "big battle" in a very similar way. But how do you bring in the strategy or decision making? Are there consequences for a poor strategy? I'm thinking on the level of one of those board wargames with the huge maps where placement and movement of forces are critical.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby ChrisC » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:56 pm

THW wrote:You could play CR with pen and paper.
Reduce the action to one section of the table at a time. So only those in section 8 would affect others in section 8.
Move section by section.
When you move into the section do In Sight, etc. normal. Count Duck bakc as flee to another section. Resolve all the action in the section before advancing the turn. So the fellow that ducks back out of the section does nothing until the the action in the section he left is resolved.
Just some quick thoughts.
Best wishes to the Mrs. and a speedy recovery.

I was just going to say something very similar to this. I was thinking you could use something similar to the rules for combat in dungeon crawl and maybe assign each section a terrain type for cover purposes.

That was my thinking on it anyway

ChrisC
ChrisC
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:26 pm

You guys have got me thinking now. Maybe if I conceptualize the grid as a 9-square chess board, I can figure a way to bring in more strategy. I can track 9 spaces in my mind, so no map needed.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:11 pm

Maybe a WWIII Germany scenario, where if I'm playing as NATO I roll for which 3 squares to put 9 Soviet PEFs in and move my 9 units (of different Rep and abilities) accordingly, based on my best guess of whether the enemy will come down the middle or one of the sides. PEFs resolve and combat ensues as you described above, except that units are brigades instead of soldiers. Terrain could conceivably be a factor, based on where roads and rivers go. As NATO I'd be trying to prevent the Soviets from exiting the map on my side, or as the Soviets I'd be trying to break through, unsure of which NATO units are where.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby THW » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:47 pm

josta59 wrote:Thanks! Her surgery's finished, and it went perfectly.

I had thought about something like that, but hadn't carried it that far. I suppose you could even do a "big battle" in a very similar way. But how do you bring in the strategy or decision making? Are there consequences for a poor strategy? I'm thinking on the level of one of those board wargames with the huge maps where placement and movement of forces are critical.

Not too sure on that one.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Tekawiz » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Just off the top of my head you could modify 2 Hour Dungeon Crawl.

Dungeon tiles can be substituted for terrain, farm, forest, hill, house, meadow, alley, etc
Minions, Ghouls = German infantry, Goblins= fallschirmjaeger, demons = SS, zombies = partisans, Orc = panzer
Secret rooms = mine field
traps = booby trap, trip wire
treasure = reinforcements or random events out of Nuts!
PEFs as documented
Healer = medic
weapons can be taken from Nuts
Big Bad = the objective, raid, rescue, bridge, ammo dump, etc
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby josta59 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks y'all, this gave me some good ideas, and I've been writing rules in my head for the past two hours. I'll try to actually write some tonight.
josta59
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby Lucky Luke » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:21 pm

I sometimes tried some RPG combat using some dice roller and a mental map: using a very familiar place you can concentrate on the moves only...and if you are under a dozen of fighters you should retain some control on the situation of every fighter.
V6 !

Lucky Luke

Miniature,Boardgame and Wargaming: http://www.militarywargaming.com
Lucky Luke
Rep 4
Rep 4

Next

Return to The Hobby