Muskets and Mohawks

The 'early' gunpowder days. Muskets and Mohawks, Long Rifle, Muskets and Shakos, And a Bottle of Rum and similar era games.

Muskets and Mohawks

Postby Cluck Amok » Sun May 28, 2017 5:14 am

Hi,

I just joined this forum and this is my first post. One of my favorite gaming periods is the French and Indian War; I game in 1/32 scale and have played most of the "popular" rule sets for the period produced in the last few years. I've played a handful of games with M&M. I really like the scale and overall period flavor, and the THW mechanics with the ability to really play solo.

I've been playing around with one rule change, to represent the more "controlled" musketry of the European-trained Regular troops and would like to know if Ed or Bob or anyone else with more experience with the rules than I have think the rule leads to any "unintended consequences" or is wrong for the period.

Any unit that is capable of forming Line and Volleying can, the turn after a Volley, when they ordinarily would have to Fire At Will, instead test to assert command and reload. Test is a straightforward Reaction Test of 2D6 vs. Rep:
Pass 2D6: Cease firing and Reload as the unit's action for the turn;
Pass 1D6: Cease firing (without Reloading) as the unit's action for the turn;
Pass0D6: Unit Fires At Will per the current rules.

This rule would also make it possible for better-trained regular troops to deliver a volley and then follow up with a bayonet charge.

Would love to get honest feedback.

Thanks!
Chris
cluckamok.blogspot.com
Cluck Amok
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Muskets and Mohawks

Postby THW » Sun May 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Cluck Amok wrote:Hi,

I just joined this forum and this is my first post. One of my favorite gaming periods is the French and Indian War; I game in 1/32 scale and have played most of the "popular" rule sets for the period produced in the last few years. I've played a handful of games with M&M. I really like the scale and overall period flavor, and the THW mechanics with the ability to really play solo.

I've been playing around with one rule change, to represent the more "controlled" musketry of the European-trained Regular troops and would like to know if Ed or Bob or anyone else with more experience with the rules than I have think the rule leads to any "unintended consequences" or is wrong for the period.

Any unit that is capable of forming Line and Volleying can, the turn after a Volley, when they ordinarily would have to Fire At Will, instead test to assert command and reload. Test is a straightforward Reaction Test of 2D6 vs. Rep:
Pass 2D6: Cease firing and Reload as the unit's action for the turn;
Pass 1D6: Cease firing (without Reloading) as the unit's action for the turn;
Pass0D6: Unit Fires At Will per the current rules.

This rule would also make it possible for better-trained regular troops to deliver a volley and then follow up with a bayonet charge.

Would love to get honest feedback.

Thanks!
Chris
cluckamok.blogspot.com

That's a perfect rule as written. Very good stuff and would work well as you cannot fire two volleys in a row.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Re: Muskets and Mohawks

Postby Cluck Amok » Tue May 30, 2017 3:36 am

Thanks Ed! I didn't know what I didn't know : )

I am going to add this rule to my games going forward.

Bests,
Chris
Cluck Amok
Rep 3
Rep 3

Return to Napoleonics / Black Powder / Pirates