Which rule set for a SYW campaign?

The 'early' gunpowder days. Muskets and Mohawks, Long Rifle, Muskets and Shakos, And a Bottle of Rum and similar era games.

Which rule set for a SYW campaign?

Postby Atomic Floozy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:42 am

One of my Wargame bucket list items is to collect and game the SYW, particularly the battles & skirmishes between the Anglo-allied army and the French. I need a rule set that can handle small engagements between a few battalions & I will also eventually need a set for the larger multi-division battles.

The engagement at Hoya is an example of the smaller size battle - The Hereditary Prince of Brunswick is leading a battalion of Hanover Infantry and 2 companies of Brunswick Guards along the left bank of the Weser River toward Hoya - that's 6 stands of infantry with 6 figures on each stand. The rest of his detachment, 1 battalion of Hanover infantry, 1 battalion & 2 companies of Brunswick Guards, 1 squadron of dragons, and a squadron of light horse are approaching the bridge at Hoya on the right bank of the Weser River - that's 10 stands of infantry with 6 figures each and 2 stands of cavalry of 3 figures each.

The Comte de Chabo is hurriedly evacuating the hospital & magazines at Hoya & has deployed in front of the bridge on the right bank with 2 battalions of the Gardes Lorraine's, 2 companies of French infantry, 2 4 lb battalion guns, & 1 squadron of dragons - that's 10 stands of infantry, 2 guns with crew, & 1 stand of cavalry.

To counter the threat on his left he has dispatched 4 companies of grenadiers commanded by the Chevalier de Beauvau - that's 8 stands of infantry.

So my question is, which THW rule set would work best here - Muskets & Mohawks? Muskets & Shakos? Or Morale Napoleon?

Most of the Allied winter campaign in 1758 were engagements of about this size, there were only two really large battles .

I've started purchasing 10mm Pendraken miniatures for this project, my table is only 6' X 4', so I'm using 30mm square bases for infantry & cavalry.

I just need to decide on a rule set..
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Re: Which rule set for a SYW campaign?

Postby THW » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:33 pm

I'd go with Muskets and Shakos.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby MWL435 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:07 pm

If you did want to use Morale Napoleon for a 7 Years War army/wing battle, I assume ALL armies would use one entry point (the French were still depot based). Correct?

Other than that, it seems to me that the mechanics would not change that much. I will need to come up with adjusted army morale and size data bases.

Perhaps the Prussians would need a small Infantry movement advantage - would you recommend an additional D6 or just add a +1 to the movement.

Thanks.
MWL435
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:52 am

MWL435 wrote:If you did want to use Morale Napoleon for a 7 Years War army/wing battle, I assume ALL armies would use one entry point (the French were still depot based). Correct?

Other than that, it seems to me that the mechanics would not change that much. I will need to come up with adjusted army morale and size data bases.

Perhaps the Prussians would need a small Infantry movement advantage - would you recommend an additional D6 or just add a +1 to the movement.

Thanks.

Yep, one entry point at this time.
I'd give them the +1 inch.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to Napoleonics / Black Powder / Pirates