Skirmishers for Rifles and Rebels

The 'early' gunpowder days. Muskets and Mohawks, Long Rifle, Muskets and Shakos, And a Bottle of Rum and similar era games.

Skirmishers for Rifles and Rebels

Postby krandoc2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to do some Rifles and Rebels games playing units of the US Sharpshooters. Aside from arming them with breech loaders, does anyone have any suggestions on how I might more accurately reflect the nature of these skirmish troops in the ACW? Thanks!
krandoc2
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Skirmishers for Rifles and Rebels

Postby BOB » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:24 am

Hello,

in Rifles and Rebels, skirmishers are covered by "unformed" troops. In the case of US SS units it's a good idea to give them high reps, say 5 for most units to show their higher level of training in the light infantry role.

There is a different treatment of skirmishers in Muskets and Shakos that you might find interesting. In that game the skirmishers act with great independence and under rather less control than in the ACW title. In the Napoleonic period though forces suffered relatively high attrition to skirmish lines and commanders had to be careful not to let their attacking force dissipate into one large skirmish line.

By the 1860's tactics had evolved somewhat and light infantry training was almost universal. That is why i opted for the simpler approach in R&R.

Hope that make sense and please feel free to ask more questions.

And Ed, please do feel free to let me know when such questions/discussions pop up here as I do not remember to check in very often.

Bob
BOB
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Re: Skirmishers for Rifles and Rebels

Postby TXWargamer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:01 am

krandoc2 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to do some Rifles and Rebels games playing units of the US Sharpshooters. Aside from arming them with breech loaders, does anyone have any suggestions on how I might more accurately reflect the nature of these skirmish troops in the ACW? Thanks!

A campaign with a sharpeshooter unit would be an 8nteresting twist.
TXWargamer
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Return to Napoleonics / Black Powder / Pirates