What ruleset for WSS?

The 'early' gunpowder days. Muskets and Mohawks, Long Rifle, Muskets and Shakos, And a Bottle of Rum and similar era games.

What ruleset for WSS?

Postby tinyminis » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:23 am

Which ruleset is recommended for games during The War for Spanish Succession, early 18th century.

I recently received two of the Marlborough's Wars Starter Army sets from Warlord Games. These are the redesigned Wargames Factory 28mm plastics.

I was wondering about one of the unit based rulesets, but they all seem to be gone from the THW web store.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thank you
tinyminis
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: What ruleset for WSS?

Postby THW » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Muskets and Mohawks would work. It's now owned by Rebel Minis but we still support it and answer questions.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby BOB » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:34 am

May I suggest Muskets & Shakos?

You would have to come up with your own army ratings but you cannot go wrong with:

Grenadiers Rep 5
    Line Rep 4
    Militia Rep3

The only other things to look out for would be:

Columns may only be used for movement and "charging" built up areas and works.
    Skirmishers should be limited to "wild"' units like tribesmen. grenzers. hussars, etc. And these units could not form line (not in the shoulder to shoulder and very steady sense of the regulars for which the rules were written.
    No horse artillery yet, and civilian contractors used to move guns should mean that once the enemy gets close, the guns can no longer be moved because the teams to move them have drifted off to safety.

Nothing else springs to mind right now but I do feel Muskets and Shakos gives a better feel for the European battlefield than Muskets and Mohawks.

Cheers,
Bob
BOB
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby THW » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:26 am

That's a good idea.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to Napoleonics / Black Powder / Pirates