Multiple rule sets. What to do?

It's a broad topic, but it's essentially anything pre-gun era. Warrior Heroes, Red Sand Blue Sky, Rally Round the King for a start.

Multiple rule sets. What to do?

Postby Crinklechips » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:56 pm

I now have Warrior Heroes Legends, 2D6 Sword & Sorcery (with the awesome adventure generator) and Talomir Tales. It's hurting my brain to decide whether I should ditch the old fantasy rules and only keep Talomir Tales or not.

What is everyone else doing?
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: Multiple rule sets. What to do?

Postby PaulCollins » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:55 pm

Talomir Tales and Druid's Children both arrived via mail today. I'll probably use these most of the time, but I still like Legends of Araby and a bunch of the others, too, so it will probably just depend on a whim.
PaulCollins
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Tekawiz » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:41 pm

For now I would go with the Talomir Tales and supplements, which is pretty much a streamlined version of WHL. You'll get a lot more games in and quests completed. The supplements are cool because you can pick and choose the encounters. You can also use Jay's 2d6 Adventure Generator out of the box for longer quests and make your own tweaks. If you want more you could easily drop in LOA, Edd's Pub and even Mission St. Mary. There's enough material to keep you generating stories for a long time. I'm pretty hooked on Talomir Tales.
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Crinklechips » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:15 am

Tekawiz wrote:For now I would go with the Talomir Tales and supplements, which is pretty much a streamlined version of WHL. You'll get a lot more games in and quests completed. The supplements are cool because you can pick and choose the encounters. You can also use Jay's 2d6 Adventure Generator out of the box for longer quests and make your own tweaks. If you want more you could easily drop in LOA, Edd's Pub and even Mission St. Mary. There's enough material to keep you generating stories for a long time. I'm pretty hooked on Talomir Tales.

Thanks for that. I've been looking at these books and just going round in circles trying to decide whats best. I'll try Talomir Tales with the 2D6 Adventure Generator. I suppose you just have to decide which encounter tables you want to use 2D6AA or TT?
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Tekawiz » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:08 am

Crinklechips wrote:
Tekawiz wrote:For now I would go with the Talomir Tales and supplements, which is pretty much a streamlined version of WHL. You'll get a lot more games in and quests completed. The supplements are cool because you can pick and choose the encounters. You can also use Jay's 2d6 Adventure Generator out of the box for longer quests and make your own tweaks. If you want more you could easily drop in LOA, Edd's Pub and even Mission St. Mary. There's enough material to keep you generating stories for a long time. I'm pretty hooked on Talomir Tales.

Thanks for that. I've been looking at these books and just going round in circles trying to decide whats best. I'll try Talomir Tales with the 2D6 Adventure Generator. I suppose you just have to decide which encounter tables you want to use 2D6AA or TT?

The 2d6 Generator or the Distant Shores encounters you can use right away and a good place to start. Then tweak as you go along. It's easy to create your own generic encounter tables. For example if you're in town you might want to weight it so more men, dwarves, elves appear. If you're in the woods or mountains you might weight it so more creatures appear. For the supplements I pretty much keep the encounter tables as is if I show up in that particular area, Deepwoods from the Druids supplement or Valkae from Piathoe's Peaks.
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Crinklechips » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:11 pm

Tekawiz wrote:
Crinklechips wrote:

The 2d6 Generator or the Distant Shores encounters you can use right away and a good place to start. Then tweak as you go along. It's easy to create your own generic encounter tables. For example if you're in town you might want to weight it so more men, dwarves, elves appear. If you're in the woods or mountains you might weight it so more creatures appear. For the supplements I pretty much keep the encounter tables as is if I show up in that particular area, Deepwoods from the Druids supplement or Valkae from Piathoe's Peaks.

Thanks Tek. Good advice. I've never tweaked or created anything because I'd rather spend my time playing but your right. Encounter tables must be the easiest thing to make. I sure hope the much requested Bestiary (with encounter tables) appears!
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Return to Talomir Tales and other Fantasy