Bestiary

It's a broad topic, but it's essentially anything pre-gun era. Warrior Heroes, Red Sand Blue Sky, Rally Round the King for a start.

Re: Bestiary

Postby Buffrockjaw » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:04 pm

shon maxx wrote:Same here. That’d be a lot of tables, but it would have plenty of options for encounters .

ah, the hours I would spend poring over them...
Buffrockjaw
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby watti3460 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:29 pm

Another reason was interested in a the bestiary is for creatures with special attacks. One could always just use the "small/medium/large/massive" ferocious monster stats found in some rule sets and try and fit a monster into a category. However, I was looking for examples where monsters have special attacks. Like a giant snake might bite and inflict poison. A giant spider could use webbing as a non-lethal attack. What about monsters big enough to swallow adventures whole? IT would be interesting ot see how this is handled in THW rules.
watti3460
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Redmao » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:51 pm

That's a great idea.
The book could be divided by region/country and the tables could be divided by the type of setting you are in. You have way more chances of meeting people in settlements as in the wild, but once you leave the fragile security of the village you might find yourself surrounded by wild beasts or monstrous creatures.
Could even be divided by day or night time. In the day you come by a wandering trader, but at night there's bandits and shady characters...

It would be a huge effort to create, but, man oh man would it be glorious.
Redmao
Rep 5
Rep 5

Postby CthulhuKid » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:13 pm

Aarakochra
Medium humanoid (aarakochra) Red Sun/Twilight

AC: 4

1 Rep 3 - Soldier - People 2 Savvy 3 - Talon
2 Rep 4 - Missile - People 3 Savvy 4 - Javelin + Talon
3-4 Rep 5 - Missile - People 4 Savvy 5 - Javelin + Talon
5 Rep 4 - Soldier - People 3 Savvy 4 - Talon
6 Rep 4 - Missile - People 4 Savvy 3 - Javelin + Talon

Traits:
Counts as Fanatic when fighting Gargoyles or Elemental Evil
Flying Creature
During an activation may remove from table to go "In flight." On a later activation may place back on table at any location. May also charge from In Flight at +1D (plus any other modifiers, including charging from the rear). Other flying figures may attack others In flight on a separate battle board.
Dive Bomb
When Charging into Melee from In Flight, add 2 successes to the Melee Damage table with Talon or Javelin.
Summon Air Elemental
If 5 Aarakochra do nothing but "dance" for 5 Activations, you may add 1 Air Elemental to the table within' 10" of the center of the table. The Elemental is friendly towards the Aarakochra and will obey their commands.

All Aarakochra use the Soldier QRS.
-------------------
There you go, that's monster number 1. Now it's someone's turn to do the Aboleth. :D
CthulhuKid
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Atomic Floozy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:14 pm

It would take some time to get it right. I've been working on just Valkae for nearly the last 6 or 8 years. Ed said there were 31 nations? To get the bestiary right, you need an understanding of the geography of each region/nation. I'd love to see one too, but it's gonna take some work.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby EasyEight » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:37 pm

THW wrote:
Crinklechips wrote:
shon maxx wrote:I look forward to hearing about this if someone works on it. The challenge is not just coming up with monsters, but also with creating encounter tables, Since you don’t have a game master telling you what you run into. Maybe encounter lists for each region of Talomir or by terrain (mountains, desert, water, etc.).

I agree with this comment. Yep, I'd love a bestiary with encounter tables.

The best way would be a Talomir Atlas listing all the creatures that can be found in different parts of the world...it's a big world too. 31 nations.

Hi Ed, sounds fun, let me know how I can help. What would suggest is that the Bestiary provide a range of possible critters and encounters for a set of generic environments plus general settings. Then let any specific country book add more details. So think of it like this:

1. The Bestiary part would describe possible Beasts, Monsters and different Folk you could encounter.

2. The Encounter list part would be split into general environments and general settings (or even make settings a book), and show what kind of things listed in the Bestiary you could encounter.

* General environments: Alpine Mountains, Dry Mountains, Forest, Jungle, Marshes, River/Lake, Sea, Desert, Plains, etc.

* General settings: Castle, Town (rich, average, poor sections), Village, Countryside, main road, side road, abandoned/blighted area, ruined building, etc. This could even be broken into a Settings book you can plug into an Encounter or Scenario.

This is the approach I take in Druid's Children. When doing an Explore, Wander, etc Encounter to resolve the Encounter list refers to Beast, Challenge or a specific race list (Men, elves, etc.) Then roll on the relevant list. A roll on the Beast list could result in normal animals or a fantastic beast, a roll on the Challenge list could be something like you must cross a ravine using a FIT test, etc.

Cheers!
God made wizards, and God made muggles, but Samuel Colt made them equal!
https://sbminisguy.wordpress.com/
EasyEight
Rep 7 - THW Author
Rep 7 - THW Author

Postby PaulCollins » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:31 pm

Hey there everyone. I'm a long time lurker but I just registered. I would be totally up to purchase a Bestiary like the one discussed here. It would be useful across all of the rules sets.
PaulCollins
Rep 3
Rep 3

Previous

Return to Talomir Tales and other Fantasy