Is the reaction system getting removed

It's a broad topic, but it's essentially anything pre-gun era. Warrior Heroes, Red Sand Blue Sky, Rally Round the King for a start.

Re: Is the reaction system getting removed

Postby Crinklechips » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:00 pm

I take it you're referring to the Black Hack? Very light rules RPGs have their place when your group is very focused on the roleplay over the mechanics. It really is horses for courses. The down side to something like the Black Hack is that you will never have anything like a 'realistic' or tactical battle.

I'm thinking about ultimately using battle boards with the odd crunchy battle thrown in when I think its a dramatic part of my story that deserves more attention.
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Tekawiz » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:30 pm

Crinklechips wrote:I take it you're referring to the Black Hack? Very light rules RPGs have their place when your group is very focused on the roleplay over the mechanics. It really is horses for courses. The down side to something like the Black Hack is that you will never have anything like a 'realistic' or tactical battle.

I'm thinking about ultimately using battle boards with the odd crunchy battle thrown in when I think its a dramatic part of my story that deserves more attention.

I know Black Hack and that's another one that is simple. The one I'm referring to is ICRPG or Index Card RPG. The original concept is to move from to area to area based on images on index cards placed on a table. This abstraction actually reminded me of what we do with THW games - roll up a location, roll up an encounter, roll for combat, roll for any challenges, do the characters succeed, move on to the next location, etc, except it's face to face story telling rather than solo. THW games like Talomir Tales are really not too far from this simplified RPG concept.
Tekawiz
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby Crinklechips » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:40 pm

Tekawiz wrote:
Crinklechips wrote:I take it you're referring to the Black Hack? Very light rules RPGs have their place when your group is very focused on the roleplay over the mechanics. It really is horses for courses. The down side to something like the Black Hack is that you will never have anything like a 'realistic' or tactical battle.

I know Black Hack and that's another one that is simple. The one I'm referring to is ICRPG or Index Card RPG. The original concept is to move from to area to area based on images on index cards placed on a table. This abstraction actually reminded me of what we do with THW games - roll up a location, roll up an encounter, roll for combat, roll for any challenges, do the characters succeed, move on to the next location, etc, except it's face to face story telling rather than solo. THW games like Talomir Tales are really not too far from this simplified RPG concept.

How interesting! I think your right.

I tried a few solo engines that allow you to solo any RPG (in my wilderness years) before discovering THW. This is for me.
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Previous

Return to Talomir Tales and other Fantasy