Unit formations in Warbands

It's a broad topic, but it's essentially anything pre-gun era. Warrior Heroes, Red Sand Blue Sky, Rally Round the King for a start.

Unit formations in Warbands

Postby herrakurola » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:37 am

Hi,

if available, I could use an example of differences between mob and line formations in battle, which advantages they have especially in melee. For example, if my unit is in two (or more) ranks, do I count only front rank for melee purpose? Just couldn't figure this out from rules...

Thank you!

All the best

Niko
herrakurola
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Unit formations in Warbands

Postby Atomic Floozy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:05 pm

There is a slight advantage of line over mob - a unit in line can move backwards as an action.

In melee, all figures in a unit fight. Page 15 - "Do not be concerned how many figures actually make physical contact with the enemy as ALL the figures in a unit are counted in melee."

If a 10 figure unit enters melee against a 4 figure unit, all 10 figures are considered to be in melee. However, when deciding the number of d6 to roll during a round of melee combat, the number of d6 can not exceed twice the number of figures in the smaller unit.

For an example, take a 10 figure Aletengard Infantry unit with REP 4 & AC 4 in melee with a 5 figure Brethren Heavy Spear unit, also REP 4 & AC4. Both units are on flat ground.

Before beginning the round of melee, each side removes 1 figure. The Altengard unit now has 9 figures & the Brethren 4 figures.

You next calculate the Kill Factor. In this case, both units have a kill factor of 2.

Now you determine the number of dice to roll. The Brethren unit gets 4d6 for its REP & 4d6 for the number of figures in the unit. The Altengard unit gets 4d6 for its REP, but only 8d6 for the number of figures, because the d6s for figures can never exceed twice the number of the opposing unit. So the Altengard player rolls 12d6 looking for 1s & 2s while the Bretren player rolls only 8d6.

Even though you didn't get to roll a d6 for the 9th figure in the Altengard unit, having the additional figure comes into play if there is a second round of melee & each side again removes 1 figure for the melee. The extra figures give the unit staying power through the rounds of melee.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Re: Unit formations in Warbands

Postby herrakurola » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:09 am

Hi,

now you pointed that out I can remember I read that but couldn't make the connection. Afterwards I read melee section because I thought it should be there.

Maybe I hire someone from Nycenae to teach my soldiers using shieldwall. I'm the big fan, thanks to Bernard Cornwell and his Saxon Tales.

Thank you for help and example.

All the best

Niko
herrakurola
Rep 3
Rep 3

Return to Fantasy / Ancients / Medieval