Been a while

It's a broad topic, but it's essentially anything pre-gun era. Warrior Heroes, Red Sand Blue Sky, Rally Round the King for a start.

Been a while

Postby CosmicBarnacle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:28 pm

So unfortunately it’s been a while since I’ve picked up any new rulesets, does Talomir Tales play similar to the free Swordplay (latest version) just has more “beef” to it so to speak? Also it states there are 16 different scenarios which I assume are customizable to your own game , but I also noticed the scenario books have 16 as well. Are these the same as the base game and just fine tuned to the specific scenario the extra books encompass?
CosmicBarnacle
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: Been a while

Postby Atomic Floozy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 pm

I can only partially answer this as I've never played Swordplay, I always played Warrior Heroes before Talomir Tales, so I can't comment on how Talomir Tales plays compared to Swordplay.

I can comment on the encounters. When you buy a Talomir Tales rule book, you get 14 different encounters which you can customize to fit any game you wish to play, you also get an additional 16 encounters that link together to form a mini-campaign very similar to a D&D adventure or Pathfinder module. The 16 additional encounters are variations to some of the 16 base encounters which are "tuned" as you say to fit the story line. I'll give an example shortly.

The scenario books are only the 16 (or more) encounters used for the adventure & do not contain all of the rules found in the rule book.

Now for a few examples. There are 14 base encounters in the rules, but Piathoe's Peaks actually uses 11 of the base encounters & that means some of the encounters are used more than once. A scenario may require more than one raid for instance or the exploration of more than one monster's lair.

Some of the other things you may find in a Scenario book is additional creatures and races. Piathoe's Peaks, again as example, introduces stats for Amazons, Bugbear, Gnolls, a Mountain Nymph & a trio of demons.

In addition to the settings for the encounters, the scenario books have pre-generated Characters & NPCs you can choose to use in your game. And last but not least there's usually a magic item or two that you could use in your games.

Why 16? Well, it's so a more complete adventure setting can be created & played.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby Buffrockjaw » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:26 pm

It's swordplay2018 with more "beef". my kids and I jumped right over from swordplay2018 when Talomir Tales became available!
Buffrockjaw
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby CosmicBarnacle » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Update, I’ve picked up a copy and think I’m going to be very pleased! Is there a sci-fi version of similar style?
CosmicBarnacle
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby Atomic Floozy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:49 pm

Yes there is. The series is 5150: No Limits. There's one title in the series, Maiden Vooyage, but I believe there will be 3 more by the end of the year. For military SF, there's 5150: Missions that can be played with traditional table top or with the Battle Board.
Amado mio. Love me forever, and let forever begin tonight.
http://www.atomicfloozy.com
Atomic Floozy
Rep 6 - Trusted Member
Rep 6 - Trusted Member

Postby Crinklechips » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Atomic Floozy wrote:Yes there is. The series is 5150: No Limits. There's one title in the series, Maiden Vooyage, but I believe there will be 3 more by the end of the year. For military SF, there's 5150: Missions that can be played with traditional table top or with the Battle Board.

Great! I look forward to more 'No Limits' books.
Crinklechips
Rep 4
Rep 4

Return to Talomir Tales and other Fantasy