2HDC Movement, LOS, and Combat Questions

It's a broad topic, but it's essentially anything pre-gun era. Warrior Heroes, Red Sand Blue Sky, Rally Round the King for a start.

2HDC Movement, LOS, and Combat Questions

Postby Eumelus » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:43 pm

First, let me give you extreme kudos for fantastic customer service! I ordered 2HDC on Sunday, got the pdf immediately, and the hard copy was in my mailbox Monday afternoon! You can't get better service than that!

I can't wait for the weekend to get here to take the rules a spin. However, I do have some questions:

(1) The movement rules on the Battle Board are not clear to me at all. Can you move and shoot (with all weapons, or only with some)? Likewise with movement and casting - possible? Limited? Can a character charge a target not closest? And what is meant by "adjacent" to opponent? Orthagonally adjacent only, or does diagonally adjacent count?

(2) Shooting, casting, and charging all require LOS, but the rules on page 13 are not clear to me. Is measurement from center of space to center of space? What about "cutting the gap" between two diagonally adjacent figures - technically neither one is "intervening". Also, reference is made to facing for LOS purposes, but apparently does not affect shooting/casting/melee. Is pivoting free?

(3) Finally (for this round of questions anyway), the melee rules imply that any given match-up will be decided in a single turn, because the minimum damage is -1 Rep AND immediately fight another round of melee. If this is continued, then every fight will end with one opponent down and there is no possibility of coming to the aid of a beleaguered comrade. Is this correct, or is it intended that only one additional round be fought each turn?

Thanks and looking forward to smiting some bad 'uns!
Eumelus
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: 2HDC Movement, LOS, and Combat Questions

Postby THW » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:10 pm

Eumelus wrote:First, let me give you extreme kudos for fantastic customer service! I ordered 2HDC on Sunday, got the pdf immediately, and the hard copy was in my mailbox Monday afternoon! You can't get better service than that!

I can't wait for the weekend to get here to take the rules a spin. However, I do have some questions:

Here goes.

(1) The movement rules on the Battle Board are not clear to me at all. Can you move and shoot (with all weapons, or only with some)? Movement in the Dungeon is by tile, one (18.1) or two (18.12). This movement will lead you to the Battle Board where combat occurs. Once there the Charge into Melee test is taken (21.0). This lets the active side, the one with more successes Shoot, Cast, or Charge into Melee. So there is no move an shoot. Likewise with movement and casting - possible? Limited? Can a character charge a target not closest? No, targeting is always the closest with one exception. You cannot target a figure a second time until all enemy have been targeted. And what is meant by "adjacent" to opponent? Orthagonally adjacent only, or does diagonally adjacent count? Next sqaure on the samwe rank of the Battle Board.

(2) Shooting, casting, and charging all require LOS, but the rules on page 13 are not clear to me. Is measurement from center of space to center of space? Only one figure occupies a space to just space to space. What about "cutting the gap" between two diagonally adjacent figures - technically neither one is "intervening". Also, reference is made to facing for LOS purposes, but apparently does not affect shooting/casting/melee. You cannot do any of those actions with LOS - the front three squares and one square to each side. No, you cannot cut between two diagonal figures. You'll see the way the figures are set up on the Battle Board and the targeting rules, that some of the things you're wondering about will almost never occur.
(3) Finally (for this round of questions anyway), the melee rules imply that any given match-up will be decided in a single turn, because the minimum damage is -1 Rep AND immediately fight another round of melee. If this is continued, then every fight will end with one opponent down and there is no possibility of coming to the aid of a beleaguered comrade. Is this correct, or is it intended that only one additional round be fought each turn? No, fight to the finish. Reaching 0 Rep makes the figure Out of the Fight. That's when you go to help him before the winner activates and kills him. Hope this helps,
Ed

Thanks and looking forward to smiting some bad 'uns!
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Eumelus » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:56 am

Thank you for the rapid response, although I don't follow your answers. After the Charge into Melee Test and after each side has had its turn of shoot/cast/charge, isn't it possible that in a subsequent turn a Shooter has no LOS to an enemy figure where he stands, but would have an LOS if he moves to a different square? So can he move and shoot, or are Shooters locked onto their starting square for the duration of the fight?
Eumelus
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:16 pm

Eumelus wrote:Thank you for the rapid response, although I don't follow your answers. After the Charge into Melee Test and after each side has had its turn of shoot/cast/charge, isn't it possible that in a subsequent turn a Shooter has no LOS to an enemy figure where he stands, but would have an LOS if he moves to a different square? So can he move and shoot, or are Shooters locked onto their starting square for the duration of the fight?

Ah, okay. He can move or shoot. So if he has no LOS to a target he can move to get one but that's it. Otr if the closest target now is out of sight, he can target the next closest one that is in sight. Hope this helps,
Ed
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to Fantasy / Ancients / Medieval