RSBS: Recover Bonus Dice question

It's a broad topic, but it's essentially anything pre-gun era. Warrior Heroes, Red Sand Blue Sky, Rally Round the King for a start.

RSBS: Recover Bonus Dice question

Postby bnscott13 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:58 pm

On page 3, recovering Bonus Dice, it says that a gladiator can "catch his breath" if he spends the entire turn in a zone unoccupied by an enemy. I think that "entire turn" here means both gladiators' movement and attack phases but just wanted to make sure. So, for example, suppose Brutus wins the initiative and starts in an adjacent zone to his opponent Flavius. Brutus elects to stay where he is, hoping to catch his breath. But in his movement phase Flavius advances and attacks - this means Brutus does not recover a bonus die, correct?

If this is right then the NPG movement table confused me a little, because the "0" successes row says that the NPG will either stay in his current unoccupied zone or drop back out of an occupied zone and "gain one bonus die". Is this intended to be different from the rule for player gladiators (since the text on page 3 says that a player gladiator would never "catch his breath" if he started in an occupied zone)? Or does the "gain a bonus die" text in row 0 of the NPG movement table really mean something more like "gain a bonus die if possible" or "hope too gain a bonus die next turn" or something like that?

Really enjoying this game, especially taking a gladiator through a solo campaign, and just want to make sure I have this right...

Thanks,
Brian
bnscott13
Rep 3
Rep 3

Re: RSBS: Recover Bonus Dice question

Postby THW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:49 pm

bnscott13 wrote:On page 3, recovering Bonus Dice, it says that a gladiator can "catch his breath" if he spends the entire turn in a zone unoccupied by an enemy. I think that "entire turn" here means both gladiators' movement and attack phases but just wanted to make sure. So, for example, suppose Brutus wins the initiative and starts in an adjacent zone to his opponent Flavius. Brutus elects to stay where he is, hoping to catch his breath. But in his movement phase Flavius advances and attacks - this means Brutus does not recover a bonus die, correct?

If this is right then the NPG movement table confused me a little, because the "0" successes row says that the NPG will either stay in his current unoccupied zone or drop back out of an occupied zone and "gain one bonus die". Is this intended to be different from the rule for player gladiators (since the text on page 3 says that a player gladiator would never "catch his breath" if he started in an occupied zone)? Or does the "gain a bonus die" text in row 0 of the NPG movement table really mean something more like "gain a bonus die if possible" or "hope too gain a bonus die next turn" or something like that?

Really enjoying this game, especially taking a gladiator through a solo campaign, and just want to make sure I have this right...

Thanks,
Brian

Sorry for the confusion, could have been clearer...."his entire turn, not influenced by the actions of another gladiator. Hope this helps,
Ed
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby bnscott13 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Ed,

Thanks for the quick response.

So in my example, Brutus would get a bonus die because he spent his turn (though not the entire "turn", in the sense of both gladiators moving and possibly attacking) doing nothing in an unoccupied zone?

What about the NPG who drops back from an occupied zone, does he gain a bonus die also? If so does the same thing apply to a player gladiator?

Brian
bnscott13
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:48 pm

bnscott13 wrote:Ed,

Thanks for the quick response.

So in my example, Brutus would get a bonus die because he spent his turn (though not the entire "turn", in the sense of both gladiators moving and possibly attacking) doing nothing in an unoccupied zone?

Correct.

What about the NPG who drops back from an occupied zone, does he gain a bonus die also? If so does the same thing apply to a player gladiator? No, dropping back meant he moved. If you don't or fight and the zone you are in during that period is unoccupied you get the bonus. Basically, standing still and catching your breath.

Brian
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby bnscott13 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:59 pm

Thanks, that clears it up for me. I think it's just the wording in the NPG Movement Table that is a little confusing where it says "Drop back one zone and catch his breath (gain a bonus die)". It's more like the NPG in that case is dropping back one zone and possibly (depending on what the player does and what the next roll on the Movement Table is) gaining a bonus die next turn.
bnscott13
Rep 3
Rep 3

Postby THW » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:11 am

bnscott13 wrote:Thanks, that clears it up for me. I think it's just the wording in the NPG Movement Table that is a little confusing where it says "Drop back one zone and catch his breath (gain a bonus die)". It's more like the NPG in that case is dropping back one zone and possibly (depending on what the player does and what the next roll on the Movement Table is) gaining a bonus die next turn.

Yes, bad wording as it conflicts with staying still to gain the Bonus Die.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to Fantasy / Ancients / Medieval