Dungeon Crawl - NPC actions on the Battle Board

It's a broad topic, but it's essentially anything pre-gun era. Warrior Heroes, Red Sand Blue Sky, Rally Round the King for a start.

Dungeon Crawl - NPC actions on the Battle Board

Postby Whiteface » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:14 am

Are grunts in a group lead by a player character treated exactly the same like grunts on the non-player side?

Can I choose their actions and for example ignore the shoot-cast-melee rule to stay at a position or to move next to an OOF friend to recover him?

Can I order a NPC Shooter not to shoot at the closest target, but at a more important target instead?

Can I choose the spell a NPC Caster will use?

How much control do I have?

Whiteface / Oliver
P.S.: I've always treated them like every other grunt, until I had a healer that didn't do anything but attacking in melee...
Whiteface
Rep 4
Rep 4

Re: Dungeon Crawl - NPC actions on the Battle Board

Postby THW » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:51 pm

Whiteface wrote:Are grunts in a group lead by a player character treated exactly the same like grunts on the non-player side? Correct, page 3 under Grunts. All Grunts are controlled by the game mechanics.

Can I choose their actions and for example ignore the shoot-cast-melee rule to stay at a position or to move next to an OOF friend to recover him? No.

Can I order a NPC Shooter not to shoot at the closest target, but at a more important target instead? No

Can I choose the spell a NPC Caster will use? That is interesting. I'd say normally no, but if you want to specify the spell to use before entering the room I could see that.

How much control do I have? Overe the Grunts? None.

Whiteface / Oliver
P.S.: I've always treated them like every other grunt, until I had a healer that didn't do anything but attacking in melee... You could substitute Heal for Healers where Cast for Casters is locate don the Charge into melee table.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Whiteface » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Thank you.

I can use a set of rules for a long time and suddenly I start thinking that I did it wrong all the time.

BTW, do you think that using the combat rules from LOA would work for Dungeon Crawl? I do like the Charge test and the Will to Fight test, but I am not sure if the Charge test could be a game breaker...and obviously there is not much time - in the confined spaces of a dungeon - to shoot at a charging enemy.

Whiteface / Oliver
Whiteface
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:56 pm

Whiteface wrote:Thank you.

I can use a set of rules for a long time and suddenly I start thinking that I did it wrong all the time.

BTW, do you think that using the combat rules from LOA would work for Dungeon Crawl? I do like the Charge test and the Will to Fight test, but I am not sure if the Charge test could be a game breaker...and obviously there is not much time - in the confined spaces of a dungeon - to shoot at a charging enemy.

Whiteface / Oliver

Yes, you could trade out rules quite easily. As for shooting at a charger, I always assume the missile guys have their weapons loaded.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Whiteface » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:38 am

In which situations are NPC non-shooters able to fire a ranged weapon? Is this only possible for player characters?
Whiteface
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Whiteface wrote:In which situations are NPC non-shooters able to fire a ranged weapon? Is this only possible for player characters?

If they are dual armed (9.2 Dual Professions) and it makes sense. Like NPC Rangers, Elves.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby Whiteface » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:13 am

...but a NPC Non-Shooter (dual armed, but single class) would always be ordered to move into melee, even if he carries a ranged weapon. A dual armed & dual class NPC could probably choose his action, but...

...the Shooting Table mentions Non-Shooters using a ranged weapon, so there has to be way for single class Non-Shooters. Unless secondary class Shooters are regarded as Non-Shooters.

I am probably overcomplicating things, but I always like to know the official rules. This will be the last 2HDC question for a while...promise :mrgreen:

Thank you
Whiteface / Oliver
Whiteface
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:11 am

Whiteface wrote:...but a NPC Non-Shooter (dual armed, but single class) would always be ordered to move into melee, even if he carries a ranged weapon. A dual armed & dual class NPC could probably choose his action, but...

...the Shooting Table mentions Non-Shooters using a ranged weapon, so there has to be way for single class Non-Shooters. Unless secondary class Shooters are regarded as Non-Shooters.

I am probably overcomplicating things, but I always like to know the official rules. This will be the last 2HDC question for a while...promise :mrgreen:

Thank you
Whiteface / Oliver

Okay, how about Dual will fire at those that cannot fire back.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Postby NickN » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:54 pm

We really do need some kind of roster to keep track if weapons, skills and such.
NickN
Rep 4
Rep 4

Postby THW » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:13 pm

NickN wrote:We really do need some kind of roster to keep track if weapons, skills and such.

I use a 3x5 card but let me look around.
THW
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed
Rep 8 - *THE* Ed

Return to Fantasy / Ancients / Medieval